|Stats at a Glance||VALPO||OU|
|FG Percentage||.509 (27-53)||.383 (23-60)|
|3P FG Percentage||.304 (7-23)||.333 (5-15)|
|FT Percentage||.700 (7-10)||.760 (19-25)|
- 14||Ryan Bass
Travis Bader - 16
Duke Mondy - 16
- 10||Drew Valentine
Corey Petros - 6
KENNEY - 3
DORITY - 3
BROEKHOFF - 2
CAPOBIANCO - 1
DORITY - 1
Sunday, December 16, 2012
Valparaiso (7-3, 0-0 Horizon)
Game #11: Monday, Dec. 17 - 6 p.m. CT
at Oakland (3-7, 0-0 Summit)
O’Rena (3,000) - Rochester, Mich.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: The Valparaiso men’s basketball team has a quick turnaround, playing its second road game in a three-day span on Monday evening at former Mid-Con rival Oakland. The Crusaders are looking for their second straight road win following Saturday night’s win at Missouri State.
Last Time Out: Junior LaVonte Dority was stellar in his Crusader debut Saturday night, pouring in a game-high 20 points as Valparaiso led nearly the entire second half in a 62-54 victory over Missouri State in Springfield, Mo. The Crusaders trailed by two at the break, but scored seven points on their first three second-half possessions to take the lead for good. Ryan Broekhoff added 15 points and nine rebounds in the winning effort.
Following the Crusaders: Radio - Valpo Sports Radio Network - WAKE (1500 AM, Valparaiso), WEFM (95.9 FM, Michigan City), WJOB (1230 AM, Hammond) - Todd Ickow (PxP) and Aaron Leavitt (Color) on the call
Video - Available through Oakland’s athletic website for a fee
Links for the live audio, as well as live stats, will be available through www.valpoathletics.com.
Head Coach Bryce Drew: Bryce Drew returns for his second season at the helm of the Valparaiso men’s basketball program in 2012-2013 after leading the Crusaders to the Horizon League regular season title in his first year as head coach. Drew was named the Horizon League Coach of the Year after guiding Valpo to a 22-win campaign, including a 14-4 mark within the league to capture the title by two games. Drew ascended to the head coaching position on May 17, 2011 after spending six seasons as an assistant and associate head coach with the Crusaders.
Series Notes: Valpo owns a sizable 17-4 lead in the all-time series over Oakland, with the four Golden Grizzly wins coming by just a combined 16 points. But all four of Oakland’s wins have come in the last five meetings, including an 82-80 Crusader loss last season at the ARC. The last time the two sides met at the O’Rena resulted in one of the most memorable games in Crusader history, a 103-102 Valpo win in regulation time.
...and the @HorizonLeague
- @ValpoBasketball has been picked to win the @HorizonLeague regular season title.
- The Crusaders received 40 of the 44 first-place votes in the #HLMBB preseason poll.
- This marks the first season since 2002-03 (Mid-Con) that @ValpoBasketball has been preseason league favorites.
- The Crusaders were the only team to place two players on the #HLMBB preseason First Team All-League as well.
- @ValpoBasketball has also been tabbed the preseason @HorizonLeague favorite by @CBSSports and @AthlonSports, among others.
- The Crusaders were ranked seventh in the preseason Mid-Major Power Rankings by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- @ValpoBasketball is currently ranked 20th in the Mid-Major Top 25 poll, voted on by mid-major coaches and produced by @CollegeInsider.
- @ValpoBasketball earned 3 points in the preseason @AP_Top25 poll.
- The Crusaders had not received votes in a national poll since a 4-week stretch near the end of the 2010-11 season in the coaches poll.
...looking back at last year
- @ValpoBasketball claimed its first @HorizonLeague regular season title in 2011-12, winning the crown by two games.
- The Crusaders earned the right to host the #HLMBB postseason tournament by winning the regular season and advanced to the championship game.
- @ValpoBasketball played at Miami in the first round of the postseason NIT, the Crusaders’ 11th postseason trip in the last 17 years.
- The Crusaders won 22 games overall in 2011-12, their 12th 20-win season in the last 19 years.
- @ValpoBasketball boasted the #HLMBB Coach of the Year (Drew), Player of the Year (Broekhoff) and a second First Team selection (Van Wijk).
- Monday’s game is the last for the Crusaders on the road prior to Christmas.
- Valpo returns home to face IUPUI (Thursday, 7:05 p.m.) and Purdue Calumet (Saturday, 1:35 p.m.) at the ARC before the holiday.
Who Needs to Shoot Well?
- @ValpoBasketball out-shot New Mexico from the floor, 48.6% to 42.6%, in its loss to the Lobos Dec. 8.
- It was the Crusaders’ first loss when out-shooting an opponent since a 57-55 loss to Milwaukee on Dec. 29, 2011.
- Then last time out at Missouri State, Valpo was outshot, 44% to 40.5%, in a winning effort.
- It marked the Crusaders’ first win despite getting outshot since winning at Milwaukee last season on Jan. 27, 55-52.
- Each of the Crusaders’ first eight games of the year, the team with the better shooting percentage won.
Hitting the Boards
- The Crusaders enjoyed a 37-19 advantage in the rebounding column in Saturday’s win at Missouri State.
- Broekhoff and Van Wijk each grabbed nine rebounds, combining by themselves for just one board less than the Bears.
- The +18 advantage on the glass was the highest for @ValpoBasketball since a 47-24 edge in a win vs. Youngstown St. on Jan. 7, 2011.
- Valpo currently leads the Horizon League with a +4.9 rebounding margin, including three games with double-figure advantages.
- The last two wins for @ValpoBasketball have both been highlighted by lockdown second-half defense.
- In the win over IPFW, Valpo gave up just 3 points in an 11-plus minute stretch of the second half and just 20 total second-half points.
- Then, in Saturday’s win at Missouri State, the Crusaders gave up just 11 points, including just 4 field goals, in the first 16:30 of the second half.
Home vs. Road
- Through five road games, @ValpoBasketball is averaging just 59.8 ppg and has been held to 52 points or less three times.
- The Crusaders are shooting just 42.4% from the floor and 29.9% from 3-point range on the road.
- Valpo also has committed 88 turnovers in its five road games, averaging nearly 18 per game.
- Meanwhile, at home, the Crusaders average 72.2 ppg, shoot 47.4% from the floor (44.6% 3-point) and have a positive assist:turnover ratio.
- Kevin Van Wijk put back a missed free throw with 1.3 seconds left to send the Crusaders into overtime with Kent State on Nov. 18.
- Erik Buggs made his first free throw with 4.7 seconds left to cut the deficit to two points before Van Wijk’s putback.
- @ValpoBasketball had just a 7.5% chance to win following 2 KSU FTs with 7.2 seconds left, according to @kenpomeroy.
- It was the first buzzer-beater for @ValpoBasketball since Buggs’ coast-to-coast layup to win at Detroit last season.
- The last four buzzer-beaters to win or send games to overtime for @ValpoBasketball have all come at the basket, dating back to 2007.
- Valpo allowed 50 points or less in back-to-back games for the first time since Jan. 2003 (NIU 46, Nebraska 50).
- The 50 points scored by Nebraska was the fewest @ValpoBasketball has given up in a loss since Jan. 16, 1984 vs. Western Illinois (41-40).
- Valpo defeated Georgia Southern by 31 points in its opener, its largest season-opening win over a D-I school since moving to D-I.
- The Crusaders followed with a 23-point win over Northern Illinois, their first back-to-back 20+ point wins since Dec. of 2009.
- With the win over Kent State, Valpo has now won three straight OT games and is 6-2 in extra time since the start of the 2010-2011 season.
- The Crusaders went 34-for-41 from the free throw line in the overtime win over Kent State.
- @ValpoBasketball had not hit 34 free throws in a single game since a Feb. 8, 1997 win over Northeastern Illinois.
- Valpo hit 13-of-24 from behind the 3-point line in each of its first two games of the season.
- Valpo hit over 50% from behind the arc in consecutive games for the first time since Jan. 2007 (11-20 vs. IUPUI, 12-16 at WIU).
- The Crusaders won the Valparaiso Division of the Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic with their victories Thanksgiving weekend over CSU and B-CU.
- @ValpoBasketball has now claimed three in-season tournament titles over the last three seasons.
- @ValpoBasketball has ranked among the top-5 in the nation in 2-point pct. each of the last 2 years, both years hitting above 55%.
- The Crusaders have ranked in the top-5 in the nation in 2-point pct. despite not having a regular taller than 6'8" either season.
- Oakland enters Monday night’s game at 3-7 on the season and has had nine days off since its last game.
- The Grizzlies have won their only two home games so far this year, albeit both against non-Division I competition.
- Head coach Greg Kampe is among the top-five longest tenured Division I head coaches.
- The Grizzlies score over 71 points per game, but also surrender nearly 76 points per game.
- One of the nation’s best 3-point shooters, Travis Bader leads Oakland, averaging 20 points per game on the nose.
- Bryce Drew is in his second season as head coach of @ValpoBasketball and is in his eighth season overall on the coaching staff.
- Drew was named #HLMBB Coach of the Year in 2011-12 in his first season as head coach.
- Drew was the first Crusader men’s basketball Coach of the Year since 2001-02, when dad Homer won the honor in the Mid-Con.
- Drew led the Crusaders to 22 wins and the @HorizonLeague regular season title in his first year at the helm.
- Prior to coaching, Drew spent seven seasons playing professionally, including six seasons in the NBA.
- Drew was a two-time Mid-Con MVP in his playing days with @ValpoBasketball, helping the team to three NCAA tournament appearances.
- Drew hit “The Shot”, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer in the first round of the 1998 NCAA tournament, to lift the Crusaders over @OleMissMBB.
- “The Shot” was just named one of the top-35 All-Time Madness Moments by the NCAA as part of the celebration of 75 Years of March Madness.
- Bryce is the third member of the Drew family to serve as head coach of @ValpoBasketball.
- Father Homer was head coach from 1988-2002, and then returned to lead Valpo from 2003-11.
- Brother Scott (current head coach of @BaylorMBB) led the Crusaders during the 2002-03 season after nine seasons as an assistant under Homer.
- A Drew has been at the helm of the Crusaders for the last 24+ years. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- The Drew family has combined to lead @ValpoBasketball to 420 victories and 11 postseason appearances. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- Overall, the trio of Drews owns 852 collegiate victories over a combined 43+ seasons of head coaching. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- @ValpoBasketball boasts one of the nation’s highest-scoring staffs, as a trio of coaches combined for 4,146 points during their D-I careers.
- Head coach Bryce Drew scored 2,142 points during his four-year career with the Crusaders.
- Assistant coach Jake Diebler also suited up for four years with @ValpoBasketball, scoring 826 points.
- Assistant coach Roger Powell Jr. tallied 1,178 points during his four-year career with @IlliniHoops.
- Assistant coach Luke Gore also played collegiately at NAIA Bethel [Tenn.] College.
- Ryan Broekhoff was named the #HLMBB Player of the Year in 2011-12 after helping guide @ValpoBasketball to the regular season title.
- Broekhoff was also named an Honorable Mention All-American by the @AP.
- Broekhoff has been picked as a Preseason First Team All-@HorizonLeague member entering his senior season.
- Broekhoff was chosen as a preseason Third Team Mid Major All-American by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- Broekhoff appeared on @CBSSports lists by @jeffborzello of the nation’s top-30 under-the-radar players (#6) and top-50 wings (#43).
- Broekhoff also was picked as the nation’s #28 shooter by @goodman_CBS on his list of top-50 shooters.
- Broekhoff was selected to the Australian Boomers squad, Australia’s senior national team, in the summer of 2012.
- Broekhoff was one of 25 players called into the 2012 @aussieboomers squad to try out for the Olympic team.
- Broekhoff was on the 12-man roster for the @aussieboomers YouYi Games series against China, making his senior international debut.
- Broekhoff saw 23 minutes of action for @aussieboomers in the three-game series, scoring four points and grabbing a pair of rebounds.
- Broekhoff was one of 15 finalists for Australia’s 12-man Olympic squad.
- Broekhoff previously represented Australia in the World University Games (2011) and the @FIBA U19 World Championships (2009).
- Broekhoff has twice been named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week this season, including the most recent honor this past Monday.
- Broekhoff led all players in both scoring and rebounding in both games last week (21 & 9 vs. IPFW; 24 & 7 at #18/20 New Mexico).
- Broekhoff went for 15 points and 9 rebounds in the win at Missouri State and has scored at least 15 in 6 of Valpo’s last 7 games.
- Broekhoff matched his career high in the first half alone in the win over Bethune-Cookman, scoring 26 points (7-8 FG, 3-3 3PT, 9-9 FT).
- Broekhoff ended the win over the Wildcats with 30 points and seven rebounds.
- Broekhoff scored 16 of Valpo’s 23 first-half points in the win over Northern Illinois, ending the game with 20 points and 13 rebounds.
- Broekhoff ranks second in the Horizon League in scoring (17.2 ppg), rebounding (7.5 rpg) and free throw percentage (.933).
- Broekhoff moved into @ValpoBasketball’s all-time top-20 in career points at Saint Louis and now ranks 17th with 1,246 career points.
- Broekhoff also ranks 9th in Crusader history in rebounds (676), 7th in blocks (79), 3rd in 3-pointers (195) and 7th in FT% (.807).
- Broekhoff led @ValpoBasketball, averaging 14.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game in 2011-12.
- Broekhoff led the @HorizonLeague in rebounding and finished fourth in the league in scoring.
- Broekhoff’s total of 290 rebounds on the year was sixth-highest in a single season in program history.
- Broekhoff became the 31st player in @ValpoBasketball history to score 1,000 career points, surpassing the milestone Feb. 17 at @LMULions.
Kevin Van Wijk
- Van Wijk was named a Preseason First Team All @HorizonLeague choice entering the 2012-13 season.
- Van Wijk narrowly missed a double-double last time out at Missouri State, posting nine points and nine rebounds.
- Van Wijk set a career high with 25 points (6-8 FG, 13-14 FT) in the OT win over Kent State, including the game-tying putback.
- Van Wijk’s 13 free throw makes against the Flashes also were a new career high.
- Van Wijk combined for 31 points and 16 rebounds in the Crusaders’ pair of victories Thanksgiving weekend.
- Van Wijk has led Valpo in four games this year - 10 points at Saint Louis, 16 points vs. Georgia Southern, 20 points at Nebraska.
- Van Wijk is coming off a junior season where he was named a First Team All-League selection.
- Van Wijk ranked second on @ValpoBasketball in scoring (14.1 ppg) in 2011-12 and also averaged 5.2 rebounds per game.
- Van Wijk led all #HLMBB players with a 61.7% FG pct, good for fifth in the nation and third-best in a single season in Crusader history.
- Van Wijk was twice named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week (Jan. 16 and Nov. 21).
- Buggs opened the season with a career-high nine assists to go with six points in the Crusaders’ win over Georgia Southern.
- Buggs tallied seven more assists in Valpo’s win over Northern Illinois, and added six assists vs. Chicago State and at #18/20 New Mexico.
- Buggs came up just one point shy of his career high with 15 points in the OT win at Kent State.
- Buggs currently is ninth in @ValpoBasketball history with 343 career assists.
- Buggs led the Crusaders last year with 103 assists, ranking tenth in the @HorizonLeague.
- Buggs also ranked among the top-10 of #HLMBB players in ast/turnover ratio (1.4, 7th) and steals/gm (1.2, 10th).
- Kenney scored all 16 of his points in the win over Northern Illinois in the second half.
- Kenney was a perfect 6-for-6 from the floor (3-for-3 from 3-point range) over a span of 9:31 against the Huskies.
- Kenney filled up the stat sheet in the OT win at Kent State, finishing with 16 points, six rebounds and five assists.
- Kenney matched his career high with seven assists while not committing a turnover in the Crusaders’ win vs. Chicago State.
- Kenney currently is ranked 17th in @ValpoBasketball history with 258 career assists.
- Kenney averaged 7.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game as a junior for the Crusaders in 2011-12.
- Kenney came off the bench for his final 19 games of the season, but still finished second on the team with 27.8 minutes/gm.
- Bogan connected on three 3-pointers for 11 points in Valpo’s win over Bethune-Cookman to cap the Nebraska Classic.
- Bogan hit a pair of first-half 3-pointers Dec. 8 at #18/20 New Mexico.
- Bogan started 32 games in his first season with @ValpoBasketball in 2011-12, averaging 7.2 points per game.
- Bogan ranked second among Crusaders with 61 3-pointers and hit from downtown at a 40.9% clip.
- Bogan’s 3-point percentage ranked seventh in the Horizon League and is tied for ninth-best in a single season in @ValpoBasketball history.
- Bogan was named @ValpoAthletics male newcomer of the year by Valpo’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
- Bogan made a career-high seven 3-pointers and scored 24 points in the Crusaders’ win at Detroit Jan. 6, 2012.
- Boggs posted nine points and tied a caerer high with eight rebounds in the Crusaders’ win over Chicago State.
- Boggs connected on back-to-back 3-pointers to give Valpo a double-digit lead for good in its win over Northern Illinois.
- Boggs became eligible after the end of the first semester last year for @ValpoBasketball and appeared in 24 games, starting 20.
- Boggs averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds per game for the Crusaders, who were 14-6 in his starts.
- Boggs shot better than 80% from the free throw line in his first season with Valpo, second-best on the team.
- Capobianco debuted for Valpo against Chicago State after missing the Crusaders’ first four regular season games due to injury.
- Capobianco doubled up in his debut, posting 10 points and grabbing 11 rebounds, including six offensive, against the Cougars.
- Capobianco’s double-double was the first in a Valpo debut since Mohamed Kone vs. IPFW on Nov. 23, 2005 (15 pts, 11 reb).
- Capobianco contributed 10 points off the bench in the Crusaders’ win last time out at Missouri State.
- Capobianco led @ValpoBasketball in scoring in both exhibitions, scoring 19 points against St. Joe’s and 21 points against Robert Morris.
- Capobianco combined to shoot 13-for-20 from inside the arc and 11-for-12 from the free throw line in the two exhibitions.
- Capobianco played his first two seasons at @IndianaMBB and sat out last season after transferring to @ValpoBasketball.
- Capobianco has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Fernandez recorded a team-high four blocked shots in the Crusaders’ win over Northern Illinois.
- Fernandez debuted with a pair of dunks in the regular season opening win over Georgia Southern.
- Fernandez is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball this season after sitting out the 2011-12 season and has 3 years of eligibility left.
- Fernandez made his senior international debut this past summer for Jamaica (@goteamja) at the FIBA Centrobasket tournament.
- Fernandez helped @goteamja to a 3rd place finish, its best ever at Centrobasket.
- Fernandez debuted in a win over the USVI and also played in the bronze-medal win over Panama.
- Coleman made his Crusader debut against Georgia Southern, scoring 15 points and grabbing five rebounds off the bench.
- Coleman knocked down the first five 3-point attempts of his Crusader career before missing his only try from deep at Nebraska.
- Coleman scored eight points, all in the first half, in the Crusaders’ win over Chicago State.
- Coleman had three dunks against the Cougars and leads the Crusaders with six dunks on the season.
- Coleman is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after transferring from Southwestern Illinois College.
- Coleman was an All-Conference selection for SWIC last season, finishing second on the team with 10.2 ppg.
- Coleman started his collegiate career as a freshman at @HawaiiAthletics.
- Rossi connected on the first five field goals of his Valpo career before missing his only attempt from the floor at Nebraska.
- Rossi debuted with 11 minutes of play in the season opener against Georgia Southern, hitting all three of his 3-point attempts for 9 points.
- Rossi handed out six assists without committing a turnover in the first exhibition win for Valpo over St. Joe’s.
- Rossi is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after spending his first two years at @calmensbball.
- Rossi has three seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Dority debuted with a game-high 20 points in Valpo’s win at Missouri State last time out.
- Dority became the first Crusader to debut with a 20+ point effort since Brandon Wood dropped 25 at Ball State in Nov. of 2009.
- Dority went 4-7 from the floor, including 3-6 from 3-point range, and 9-10 at the free throw line against the Bears.
- Dority transferred to Valpo from South Florida at the semester break last year.
- Dority appeared in 35 games over his one and a half seasons with the Bulls.
- Dority has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
|Copyright ©2014 Valparaiso University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ValpoAthletics.com|