|January 09, 2013||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||VALPO||UIC|
|FG Percentage||.500 (22-44)||.429 (24-56)|
|3P FG Percentage||.333 (6-18)||.444 (4-9)|
|FT Percentage||.833 (25-30)||1.000 (18-18)|
BUGGS - 1
DORITY - 1
Miller - 1
Valparaiso (11-5, 1-1 Horizon)
Game #17: Wednesday, Jan. 9 - 7 p.m.
at UIC (10-5, 1-1 Horizon)
UIC Pavilion (8,000) - Chicago, Ill.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: The Valparaiso men’s basketball team kicks off a stretch of three consecutive road games on Wednesday evening at 7 p.m., making the short jaunt into Chicago to face off against UIC.
Last Time Out: In front of a national television audience Friday night on ESPNU, the Valparaiso men’s basketball team led start to finish in a 74-50 victory over Cleveland State at the Athletics-Recreation Center. Matt Kenney led the Crusaders in scoring for the second time this year with 14 points, while Will Bogan added 13 points on 5-of-6 shooting.
Following the Crusaders: Radio - Valpo Sports Radio Network - WAKE (1500 AM, Valparaiso), WEFM (95.9 FM, Michigan City), WJOB (1230 AM, Hammond) - Todd Ickow (PxP) and Travis Lucian (Color)
Video - Horizon League Network
Links for the live audio and video, as well as live stats, will be available through ValpoAthletics.com.
Head Coach Bryce Drew: Bryce Drew returns for his second season at the helm of the Valparaiso men’s basketball program in 2012-2013 after leading the Crusaders to the Horizon League regular season title in his first year as head coach. Drew was named the Horizon League Coach of the Year after guiding Valpo to a 22-win campaign, including a 14-4 mark within the league to capture the title by two games. Drew ascended to the head coaching position on May 17, 2011 after spending six seasons as an assistant and associate head coach with the Crusaders.
Series Notes: UIC leads the all-time series against the Crusaders, 29-16, but Valpo holds the 7-3 edge since joining the Horizon League, including winning each of the last six meetings. Five of those six victories have been by just single digits, however, including most recently a 74-65 win at the ARC on Feb. 14, 2012. The Crusaders overcame a double digit deficit in the second half of that contest for the win.
...and the @HorizonLeague
- @ValpoBasketball has been picked to win the @HorizonLeague regular season title.
- The Crusaders received 40 of the 44 first-place votes in the #HLMBB preseason poll.
- This marks the first season since 2002-03 (Mid-Con) that @ValpoBasketball has been preseason league favorites.
- The Crusaders were the only team to place two players on the #HLMBB preseason First Team All-League as well.
- @ValpoBasketball has also been tabbed the preseason @HorizonLeague favorite by @CBSSports and @AthlonSports, among others.
- The Crusaders were ranked seventh in the preseason Mid-Major Power Rankings by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- @ValpoBasketball is currently ranked 14th in the Mid-Major Top 25 poll, voted on by mid-major coaches and produced by @CollegeInsider.
- @ValpoBasketball earned 3 points in the preseason @AP_Top25 poll.
- The Crusaders had not received votes in a national poll since a 4-week stretch near the end of the 2010-11 season in the coaches poll.
...looking back at last year
- @ValpoBasketball claimed its first @HorizonLeague regular season title in 2011-12, winning the crown by two games.
- The Crusaders earned the right to host the #HLMBB postseason tournament by winning the regular season and advanced to the championship game.
- @ValpoBasketball played at Miami in the first round of the postseason NIT, the Crusaders’ 11th postseason trip in the last 17 years.
- The Crusaders won 22 games overall in 2011-12, their 12th 20-win season in the last 19 years.
- @ValpoBasketball boasted the #HLMBB Coach of the Year (Drew), Player of the Year (Broekhoff) and a second First Team selection (Van Wijk).
- @ValpoBasketball continues its three-game road swing on Saturday afternoon at Milwaukee in the HLN Game of the Week.
- The Crusaders then head to Detroit next Thursday, Jan. 17, a game which can be seen live nationwide on ESPNU.
- @ValpoBasketball bounced back from a loss to Loyola with a 74-50 win over Cleveland State last time out.
- The Crusaders have not lost two straight games this season and haven’t dropped back-to-back league games since Feb. 21/24, 2011.
- Valpo won with defense, limiting CSU to just 30% shooting, including just 1-of-18 from behind the 3-point line.
- The Crusaders held CSU to just 0.72 points per possession, their second-best defensive performance of the year (0.70, NIU).
Shooting From Downtown
- @ValpoBasketball connected on ten 3-pointers in its win over Cleveland State on Friday, going 10-of-26 from downtown.
- It marked the third time this year that the Crusaders have hit at least ten 3’s in a game (Nov. 9 - GSU, Nov. 13 - NIU).
- Valpo’s 26 3-point attempts were its most in a Horizon League game since tossing up 31 triples at Milwaukee on Jan. 29, 2010.
That Doesn’t Happen Here Often
- @ValpoBasketball fell in its Horizon League home opener to Loyola last time out, 63-54.
- The Crusaders lost their first home game of 2013 after going 15-1 at home in 2012 - the only loss coming in the HL title game.
- Valpo also lost its first HL home game last season (Milwaukee) before going 8-0 in league home games the rest of the way.
Overcoming a Deficit
- @ValpoBasketball overcame an 11-point first half deficit to earn the win over Murray State Dec. 29.
- It was the Crusaders’ first win this year in a game in which they’ve trailed by double digits after winning five such games last year.
- Valpo has won 19 consecutive games in which it has held a double-figure lead at any point in the contest.
Change in the Lineup
- Head coach Bryce Drew changed the starting lineup for @ValpoBasketball for the first time this season on Dec. 20 vs. IUPUI.
- LaVonte Dority and Matt Kenney started for the Crusaders in place of Will Bogan and Erik Buggs.
- It marked Dority’s first start in a Valpo uniform and snapped a streak of 70 straight starts for Buggs.
- Then, vs. Purdue Calumet, Bobby Capobianco earned his first start as a Crusader as Ryan Broekhoff did not play.
- It snapped a streak of 50 straight starts for Broekhoff and was his first career DNP (113 games).
- Both Bogan and Buggs were back in the starting lineup last time out vs. CSU, in place of Dority and Ben Boggs.
- Boggs snapped a streak of 35 straight starts and 39 straight games played.
Hitting the Boards
- Valpo enjoyed a 41-21 advantage on the boards against IUPUI, a season-best +20 rebounding margin.
- The +20 advantage on the glass was the highest for @ValpoBasketball since a 47-24 edge in a win vs. Youngstown St. on Jan. 7, 2011.
- The Crusaders have been +16 or better on the glass in four of their last seven games, including a 43-27 edge against Cleveland State.
- Valpo currently leads the Horizon League with a +6.6 rebounding margin, including six games with double-figure advantages.
- @ValpoBasketball tallied 16 steals in the win over Purdue Calumet, its most in a single game in over 10 years.
- The Crusaders placed five players in double figures in the win over IUPUI, the first time since doing so at Butler on Dec. 3, 2011.
- The Crusaders’ 52 points in the paint vs. IUPUI are the most they’ve had in a single Division I game since at least 2005.
- The Crusaders won the Valparaiso Division of the Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic with their victories Thanksgiving weekend over CSU and B-CU.
- @ValpoBasketball has now claimed three in-season tournament titles over the last three seasons.
- With the win over Kent State, Valpo has now won three straight OT games and is 6-2 in extra time since the start of the 2010-2011 season.
- The Crusaders went 34-for-41 from the free throw line in the win over Kent State.
- Valpo had not hit 34 free throws in a single game since a Feb. 8, 1997 win over Northeastern Illinois.
- Valpo allowed 50 points or less in back-to-back games for the first time since Jan. 2003 (NIU 46, Nebraska 50).
- The 50 points scored by Nebraska was the fewest @ValpoBasketball has given up in a loss since Jan. 16, 1984 vs. Western Illinois (41-40).
- Valpo hit 13-of-24 from behind the 3-point line in each of its first two games of the season.
- Valpo hit over 50% from behind the arc in consecutive games for the first time since Jan. 2007 (11-20 vs. IUPUI, 12-16 at WIU).
- Valpo defeated Georgia Southern by 31 points in its opener, its largest season-opening win over a D-I school since moving to D-I.
- @ValpoBasketball has ranked among the top-5 in the nation in 2-point pct. each of the last 2 years, both years hitting above 55%.
- The Crusaders have ranked in the top-5 in the nation in 2-point pct. despite not having a regular taller than 6'8" either season.
- UIC enters Wednesday night’s contest at 10-5 overall and 1-1 in Horizon League play.
- The Flames are coming off of a 60-50 loss at Cleveland State on Monday and have dropped four of their last five after a 9-1 start.
- Three players average in double figures for UIC, led by guard Gary Talton’s 12.5 points and 4.6 assists per game.
- Guard Daniel Barnes averages 12.2 ppg, while forward Hayden Humes adds 11.2 ppg and a team-high 6.1 rpg.
- Bryce Drew is in his second season as head coach of @ValpoBasketball and is in his eighth season overall on the coaching staff.
- Drew was named #HLMBB Coach of the Year in 2011-12 in his first season as head coach.
- Drew was the first Crusader men’s basketball Coach of the Year since 2001-02, when dad Homer won the honor in the Mid-Con.
- Drew led the Crusaders to 22 wins and the @HorizonLeague regular season title in his first year at the helm.
- Prior to coaching, Drew spent seven seasons playing professionally, including six seasons in the NBA.
- Drew was a two-time Mid-Con MVP in his playing days with @ValpoBasketball, helping the team to three NCAA tournament appearances.
- Drew hit “The Shot”, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer in the first round of the 1998 NCAA tournament, to lift the Crusaders over @OleMissMBB.
- “The Shot” was just named one of the top-35 All-Time Madness Moments by the NCAA as part of the celebration of 75 Years of March Madness.
- Bryce is the third member of the Drew family to serve as head coach of @ValpoBasketball.
- Father Homer was head coach from 1988-2002, and then returned to lead Valpo from 2003-11.
- Brother Scott (current head coach of @BaylorMBB) led the Crusaders during the 2002-03 season after nine seasons as an assistant under Homer.
- A Drew has been at the helm of the Crusaders for the last 24+ years. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- The Drew family has combined to lead @ValpoBasketball to 424 victories and 11 postseason appearances. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- Overall, the trio of Drews owns 859 collegiate victories over a combined 43+ seasons of head coaching. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- @ValpoBasketball boasts one of the nation’s highest-scoring staffs, as a trio of coaches combined for 4,146 points during their D-I careers.
- Head coach Bryce Drew scored 2,142 points during his four-year career with the Crusaders.
- Assistant coach Jake Diebler also suited up for four years with @ValpoBasketball, scoring 826 points.
- Assistant coach Roger Powell Jr. tallied 1,178 points during his four-year career with @IlliniHoops.
- Assistant coach Luke Gore also played collegiately at NAIA Bethel [Tenn.] College.
- Ryan Broekhoff was named the #HLMBB Player of the Year in 2011-12 after helping guide @ValpoBasketball to the regular season title.
- Broekhoff was also named an Honorable Mention All-American by the @AP.
- Broekhoff has been picked as a Preseason First Team All-@HorizonLeague member entering his senior season.
- Broekhoff earned Lou Henson Award mid-season award honors from College Insider.
- Broekhoff was chosen as a preseason Third Team Mid Major All-American by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- Broekhoff appeared on @CBSSports lists by @jeffborzello of the nation’s top-30 under-the-radar players (#6) and top-50 wings (#43).
- Broekhoff also was picked as the nation’s #28 shooter by @goodman_CBS on his list of top-50 shooters.
- Broekhoff was selected to the Australian Boomers squad, Australia’s senior national team, in the summer of 2012.
- Broekhoff was one of 25 players called into the 2012 @aussieboomers squad to try out for the Olympic team.
- Broekhoff was on the 12-man roster for the @aussieboomers YouYi Games series against China, making his senior international debut.
- Broekhoff saw 23 minutes of action for @aussieboomers in the three-game series, scoring four points and grabbing a pair of rebounds.
- Broekhoff was one of 15 finalists for Australia’s 12-man Olympic squad.
- Broekhoff previously represented Australia in the World University Games (2011) and the @FIBA U19 World Championships (2009).
- Broekhoff has twice been named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week this season.
- Broekhoff picked up his third double-double of the year last time out in the win over Cleveland State with 10 points and 12 rebounds.
- Broekhoff DNP for the first time in his career Dec. 22 vs. Purdue Calumet, snapping streaks of 113 straight games and 50 straight starts.
- Broekhoff led all players in both scoring and rebounding in both games the first week of Dec. (21/9 vs. IPFW; 24/7 at #18/20 New Mexico).
- Broekhoff matched his career high in the first half alone in the win over Bethune-Cookman, scoring 26 points (7-8 FG, 3-3 3PT, 9-9 FT).
- Broekhoff ended the win over the Wildcats with 30 points and seven rebounds.
- Broekhoff scored 16 of Valpo’s 23 first-half points in the win over Northern Illinois, ending the game with 20 points and 13 rebounds.
- Broekhoff leads the Horizon League in rebounding (8.1 rpg) and free throw pct. (.927), ranking fourth nationally in the latter category.
- Broekhoff moved into @ValpoBasketball’s all-time top-20 in career points at Saint Louis and now ranks 15th with 1,316 career points.
- Broekhoff also ranks 5th in rebounds (722), 7th in blocks (80), 3rd in 3-pointers (206), 8th in 3PT% (.409) and 7th in FT% (.810).
- Broekhoff led @ValpoBasketball, averaging 14.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game in 2011-12.
- Broekhoff led the @HorizonLeague in rebounding and finished fourth in the league in scoring.
- Broekhoff’s total of 290 rebounds on the year was sixth-highest in a single season in program history.
- Broekhoff became the 31st player in @ValpoBasketball history to score 1,000 career points, surpassing the milestone Feb. 17 at @LMULions.
Kevin Van Wijk
- Van Wijk was named a Preseason First Team All @HorizonLeague choice entering the 2012-13 season.
- Van Wijk has scored in double figures in 11 of Valpo’s 16 games so far this year, including 10 points and 7 rebounds vs. Loyola.
- Van Wijk currently leads the Horizon League with a .587 field goal percentage.
- Van Wijk scored 25 points combined in just 36 minutes of action in wins over IUPUI and Purdue Calumet.
- Van Wijk set a career high with 25 points (6-8 FG, 13-14 FT) in the OT win over Kent State, including the game-tying putback.
- Van Wijk’s 13 free throw makes against the Flashes also were a new career high.
- Van Wijk combined for 31 points and 16 rebounds in the Crusaders’ pair of victories Thanksgiving weekend.
- Van Wijk has led Valpo in four games this year - 10 points at Saint Louis, 16 points vs. Georgia Southern, 20 points at Nebraska.
- Van Wijk is coming off a junior season where he was named a First Team All-League selection.
- Van Wijk ranked second on @ValpoBasketball in scoring (14.1 ppg) in 2011-12 and also averaged 5.2 rebounds per game.
- Van Wijk led all #HLMBB players with a 61.7% FG pct, good for fifth in the nation and third-best in a single season in Crusader history.
- Van Wijk was twice named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week (Jan. 16 and Nov. 21).
- Buggs returned to the starting five last time out vs. Cleveland St., matching a career high with four steals.
- Buggs came off the bench in the win over IUPUI Dec. 20, snapping a streak of 70 consecutive starts.
- Buggs opened the season with a career-high nine assists to go with six points in the Crusaders’ win over Georgia Southern.
- Buggs tallied seven more assists in Valpo’s win over Northern Illinois, and added six assists vs. Chicago State and at #18/20 New Mexico.
- Buggs came up just one point shy of his career high with 15 points in the OT win at Kent State.
- Buggs currently is ninth in @ValpoBasketball history with 356 career assists.
- Buggs led the Crusaders last year with 103 assists, ranking tenth in the @HorizonLeague.
- Buggs also ranked among the top-10 of #HLMBB players in ast/turnover ratio (1.4, 7th) and steals/gm (1.2, 10th).
- Kenney led the Crusaders for the second time this year, scoring 14 points in the win last time out over Cleveland State.
- Kenney made his first start in nearly a year Dec. 20 against IUPUI.
- Kenney responded with 15 points and six assists in the victory over the Jaguars, one off his season high in both categories.
- Kenney scored all 16 of his points in the win over Northern Illinois in the second half.
- Kenney was a perfect 6-for-6 from the floor (3-for-3 from 3-point range) over a span of 9:31 against the Huskies.
- Kenney filled up the stat sheet in the OT win at Kent State, finishing with 16 points, six rebounds and five assists.
- Kenney matched his career high with seven assists while not committing a turnover in the Crusaders’ win vs. Chicago State.
- Kenney currently is ranked 17th in @ValpoBasketball history with 279 career assists.
- Kenney averaged 7.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game as a junior for the Crusaders in 2011-12.
- Kenney came off the bench for his final 19 games of the season, but still finished second on the team with 27.8 minutes/gm.
- Bogan returned to the starting lineup in the win over CSU, scoring 13 points on 5-of-6 shooting from the floor, including three 3’s.
- Bogan scored a season-high 14 points, hitting four 3-pointers, in Valpo’s win over Purdue Calumet Dec. 22.
- Bogan connected on three 3-pointers for 11 points in Valpo’s win over Bethune-Cookman to cap the Nebraska Classic.
- Bogan started 32 games in his first season with @ValpoBasketball in 2011-12, averaging 7.2 points per game.
- Bogan ranked second among Crusaders with 61 3-pointers and hit from downtown at a 40.9% clip.
- Bogan’s 3-point percentage ranked seventh in the Horizon League and is tied for ninth-best in a single season in @ValpoBasketball history.
- Bogan was named @ValpoAthletics male newcomer of the year by Valpo’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
- Bogan made a career-high seven 3-pointers and scored 24 points in the Crusaders’ win at Detroit Jan. 6, 2012.
- Boggs missed the Cleveland State game, snapping streaks of 35 straight starts and 39 straight games played.
- Boggs scored five straight points to give Valpo the lead for good late in the win at Murray State Dec. 29.
- Boggs scored a season-best 12 points in both of Valpo’s pre-Christmas wins over IUPUI and Purdue Calumet.
- Boggs was a perfect 5-of-5 from the floor for 11 points at Oakland.
- Boggs posted nine points and tied a career high with eight rebounds in the Crusaders’ win over Chicago State.
- Boggs became eligible after the end of the first semester last year for @ValpoBasketball and appeared in 24 games, starting 20.
- Boggs averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds per game for the Crusaders, who were 14-6 in his starts.
- Boggs shot better than 80% from the free throw line in his first season with Valpo, second-best on the team.
- Capobianco debuted for Valpo against Chicago State after missing the Crusaders’ first four regular season games due to injury.
- Capobianco doubled up in his debut, posting 10 points and grabbing 11 rebounds, including six offensive, against the Cougars.
- Capobianco’s double-double was the first in a Valpo debut since Mohamed Kone vs. IPFW on Nov. 23, 2005 (15 pts, 11 reb).
- Capobianco made his first Crusader start Dec. 22 vs. Purdue Calumet.
- Capobianco scored 10 points and grabbed seven rebounds, including five offensive, in the win Dec. 20 against IUPUI.
- Capobianco led @ValpoBasketball in scoring in both exhibitions, scoring 19 points against St. Joe’s and 21 points against Robert Morris.
- Capobianco played his first two seasons at @IndianaMBB and sat out last season after transferring to @ValpoBasketball.
- Capobianco has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Dority was a perfect 8-of-8 from the foul line en route to 10 points in the win over Loyola.
- Dority made his Crusader debut with a game-high 20 points in Valpo’s win at Missouri State.
- Dority became the first Crusader to debut with a 20+ point effort since Brandon Wood dropped 25 at Ball State in Nov. of 2009.
- Dority again led Valpo in the loss at Oakland, scoring 14 points.
- Dority led the Crusaders for the third time in his first four games with a 19-point effort versus Purdue Calumet.
- Dority transferred to Valpo from South Florida at the semester break last year.
- Dority appeared in 35 games over his one and a half seasons with the Bulls.
- Dority has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Coleman approached a double-double with nine points and a season-best eight rebounds last time out in the win over Cleveland State.
- Coleman tallied 10 points Dec. 29 in the Crusaders’ win at Murray State.
- Coleman led the Crusaders with four steals in their win Dec. 22 against Purdue Calumet.
- Coleman made his Crusader debut against Georgia Southern, scoring 15 points and grabbing five rebounds off the bench.
- Coleman knocked down the first five 3-point attempts of his Crusader career before missing his only try from deep at Nebraska.
- Coleman had three dunks against Chicago State and leads the Crusaders with six dunks on the season.
- Coleman is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after transferring from Southwestern Illinois College.
- Coleman was an All-Conference selection for SWIC last season, finishing second on the team with 10.2 ppg.
- Coleman started his collegiate career as a freshman at @HawaiiAthletics.
- Fernandez pulled down a season-high six rebounds Dec. 22 in the win verus Purdue Calumet.
- Fernandez recorded a team-high four blocked shots in the Crusaders’ win over Northern Illinois.
- Fernandez debuted with a pair of dunks in the regular season opening win over Georgia Southern.
- Fernandez is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball this season after sitting out the 2011-12 season and has 3 years of eligibility left.
- Fernandez made his senior international debut this past summer for Jamaica (@goteamja) at the FIBA Centrobasket tournament.
- Fernandez helped @goteamja to a 3rd place finish, its best ever at Centrobasket.
- Fernandez debuted in a win over the USVI and also played in the bronze-medal win over Panama.
- Rossi connected on the first five field goals of his Valpo career before missing his only attempt from the floor at Nebraska.
- Rossi debuted with 11 minutes of play in the season opener against Georgia Southern, hitting all three of his 3-point attempts for 9 points.
- Rossi scored five points and grabbed two rebounds in 14 minutes Dec. 22 against Purdue Calumet.
- Rossi handed out six assists without committing a turnover in the first exhibition win for Valpo over St. Joe’s.
- Rossi is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after spending his first two years at @calmensbball.
- Rossi has three seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.