The Crusader men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the Bradley Classic Friday afternoon, their first meet in two weeks and their final tune-up for the upcoming Horizon League Championships.
How It Happened
- Senior Adam Bruno (Bloomington, Ill./University) was the leading runner for Valpo, crossing the finish line in the 103rd spot with a time of 26:00.0. Bruno knocked off nearly 58 seconds from his time last year at the same event.
- Sophomore Ben Zibricky (New Lenox. Ill./Lincoln Way Central) and freshman Victor Fortin (East Peoria, Ill./Peoria Notre Dame) finished neck-and-neck, with Zibricky coming in at 26:21.8 to finish 135th and Fortin crossing in 139th with a time of 26:24.5.
- Two-time All-Horizon League performer Liz Owen (Freedom, Wis./Freedom) led the Crusader women in the field with a time of 22:42.3 to finish in 125th position.
- Junior Kim Heiny (Burnettsville, Ind./Twin Lakes) wasn’t far behind Owen, crossing the line in 22:52.3 in 136th place.
- The Valpo women finished in 29th place, out-pacing fellow Horizon League squad Green Bay, while the men placed 24th, just one spot back of the Phoenix.
Both squads travel to Kenosha, Wis. on Oct. 29 to participate in the Horizon League Championships , hosted by Milwaukee.