The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s cross country teams contested the Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational Friday afternoon, competing in the Gold Division. The men ran in the five-mile event, while the women raced in the 5K. Senior Kim Heiny (Burnettsville, Ind./Twin Lakes) finished first for the women and junior Ben Zibricky (New Lenox, Ill./Lincoln Way Central) paved the way for the men’s team.
How It Happened
- For the first time all year, Zibricky crossed the line first for the men. His time of 26:50.1 was seconds away from besting the time from last year he set at this event.
- Senior Sidney Noble (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) earned his third top-two mark for the Crusaders this season, crossing in 26:59.0. Sophomore Victor Fortin (East Peoria, Ill./Peoria Notre Dame) was near his teammate, finishing in 27:10.8.
- Freshman Ronald Black (O'Fallon, Ill./O'Fallon) maintained his strong start to his Valpo career, grabbing a fourth-place spot (27:25.9).
- Freshman Dominic Paoletti (Monroe, Mich./Monroe St. Mary), junior Tyler Grimes (Indianapolis, Ind./Perry Meridian), freshman Nate Izewski (Palatine, Ill./Palatine) and sophomore Tim Zange (Robins, La./Kennedy) finished in that order for the men.
- Seniors Charles Banks (Valparaiso, Ind./Valparaiso) and Patrick Vieck (Metamora, Ill./Metamora) competed on Friday in the open race.
- For the third consecutive meet this season, Heiny led all Valpo women. The veteran ran a 19:02.9, which is now her best for the year.
- Sophomore Katherine Germann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Finneytown) finished in second for the squad, ending with a time of 19:42.7. She trimmed over 1:15 off her time from last season’s Joe Piane Invite.
- Freshman Sarah Caesar (Fox River Grove, Ill./Cary-Grove) continues to shine for the Crusaders in her young career, capturing her second straight top-three finish. She tallied a time of 19:57.5
- Sophomore Kate Mitchell (Algonquin, Ill./Huntley) ended her day in fourth for the Brown and Gold, earning a time of 20:07.5, clipping 45 seconds off her previous season-best mark, set at the Crusader Open.
- Sophomores Celia McGhiey (Carmel, Ind./Carmel), Nicole Berneche (Glen Ellyn, Ill./Glenbard West) and Taylor Justison (Chatham, Ill./Glenwood) and freshmen Kathleen Neal (Zionsville, Ind./Zionsville) and Olivia Recker (Fishers, Ind./Hamilton Southeastern) rounded out the runners for Valpo.
The Crusaders travel to Missouri Valley Conference foe Bradley University on Friday, Oct. 13 for the Bradley Pink Classic in Peoria, Ill. The men’s race will begin at 3:15 p.m, with the women to follow. Several conference teams will be in attendance, giving Valpo a small taste of the MVC Championships in a few weeks and what to prepare for.