Valparaiso University men’s cross country junior Eric Carothers (Fishers, Ind. / Hamilton Southeastern) improved his 8K time that already ranked fourth in program history as the Beacons returned to action on Friday. The men’s and women’s squads competed in the Bradley Pink Classic, which was held at Newman Golf Course in Peoria, Ill. The women were part of a 37-team field and the men were among 31 competing teams in a meet that featured numerous Missouri Valley Conference compatriots.
How It Happened
- Carothers led the way for the Valpo men in the red race, enjoying a top-50 finish in the event. He placed 48th in a large and talented field by running the 8K course in 24:59.1. He improved upon his previous season-best time in the 8K, which was 25:04.4 at Illinois State. Carothers bettered his fourth-place time in the Valpo record book and was just over two seconds away from third, held by Gary Schroeder with a 1973 time of 24:57.
- Elsewhere in the race, Ignacio Veloz Bonilla (San Juan, P.R. / American Military Academy) crossed the finish in 25:51.9. The team’s third-best runner was Simeon Ehm (Castle Rock, Colo. / Heritage), whose time of 26:05 shaved 1.6 seconds off his previous season best, which came at Illinois State.
- Sophomore Grace Aurand (Highland, Ind. / Highland) led the way in the women’s red race by turning in a 23:14.2 in the 6K.
- Aurand was followed by Brianna Splaine (Sussex, Wis. / Arrowhead), who crossed the finish in 23:55.9, and Alaina Carpenter (Grandville, Mich. / Grandville), who clocked a time of 24:22.2
- Sean Curran (Plainfield, Ill. / Plainfield North) led Valpo in the men’s white race with a season-best 27:46.7. The women’s white race was led by Danielle Durak (Joliet, Ill. / Joliet West) at 26:04.9.
Valpo will gear up for the Missouri Valley Conference Championship, which will take place on Friday, Oct. 29 at Weibring GC in Normal, Ill.