The Valparaiso University men’s golf team concluded the Dayton Flyer Invitational in Kettering, Ohio at NCR Country Club on Tuesday with the second round of the two-day event. Senior Peter Webb (Madison, Wis. / James Madison Memorial) carded a 74, turning in the best round of the day by a Crusader.
How It Happened
- The Crusaders leapfrogged two teams in the standings on the event’s second day, finishing in 16th of 18. They finished with a 36-hole team score of 621 (+53), one stroke ahead of IUPUI and four strokes better than Horizon League foe Youngstown State.
- Webb finished the event tied for 14th overall with a 36-hole score of 149, seven strokes over par.
- Valpo’s second-best total score came from freshman Matthew McCarthy (O’Fallon, Ill. Althoff Catholic), who was competing individually and tied for 38th. He finished the two days at 153 (+11) after posting a 76 on Day 2.
- Freshman Ross Lazar (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) made a four-stroke improvement from his first round. He finished the second day of competition with a 76 and totaled a 156 (+14) for event, tying for 54th.
- Sophomore Mitchell Wittmann (Kaukauna, Wis. / Kaukauna) made a 10-stroke improvement from the first round by carding a 76 on Day 2. He finished with a total score of 162 (+10).
- Redshirt junior Adam Barancani (Normal, Ill. / University) stroked an 82 on Tuesday, but still finished in a tie for 61st after a strong Day 1 performance. His total score of 157 was 15 strokes over par.
- Junior Zach Cutler (O'Fallon, Mo. / Timberland) turned in an 80 to finish with a total score of 165 (+23).
Inside the Rounds
- Michigan was the team winner, with Dayton finishing as the team runner-up.
- Michigan’s Ian Kim and Nick Carlson tied for first, each posting a 142. Kim won the one-hole playoff with a birdie to capture medalist honors.
- The Crusaders tied for 10th in total birdies with 15. Wittmann had four in Round 2 to lead the way.
- As a team, the Crusaders trimmed nine strokes off their Day 1 score with a 306 in Round 2.
With the conclusion of the Dayton Flyer Invitational, Valpo has completed the fall portion of the season. The Crusaders will begin their spring campaign on Monday, Feb. 20 with The Invitational at Savannah Harbor in Savannah, Ga.