The Valparaiso University men’s golf team was led by Caleb VanArragon (Blaine, Minn. / Blaine) on the opening day of the Orlando Invitational hosted by George Mason at Mission Inn in Howey-In-The-Hills, Fla. The Valpo freshman is tied for fifth of 68 on the individual leaderboard.
How It Happened
- VanArragon carded a 74 in Round 1 and followed with a 76 in Round 2 for a Day 1 score of 150. He is four strokes behind Youngstown State’s Ken Keller, who enters the final round in the lead for medalist honors.
- Sophomore Garrett Willis (Fort Wayne, Ind. / Homestead) was Valpo’s second-best performer as he carded a 77 followed by an 83 to finish the first day at 160, tied for 37th.
- As a team, Valpo went 312-318 for a Day 1 total of 630.
Inside the Rounds
- Valpo has 101 pars, the second-most in the tournament, but 10 birdies, the fewest.
- VanArragon has five of the team’s 10 birdies.
- VanArragon’s best work has come on Par 3 holes, where he owns a 3.12 average.
The third and final round of the event will occur on Tuesday. Live scoring is available via BirdieFire with a link published on ValpoAthletics.com.