The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s swimming teams completed day two of a back-to-back meet weekend Sunday afternoon with respective sixth-place finishes from both teams at the Butler Invitational in Fishers, Ind. The Crusaders had several top-ten individual performances to highlight their day.
How It Happened
- For the men, freshman Peyton Stambeck (Bartlesville, Okla./Bartlesville) turned out the best finish, with an eighth-place finish in the 50-yard freestyle race, hitting the wall at 22.21.
- Sophomores Dylan Kirar (Arvada, Colo./Ralston Valley) and Bob Bretl (Wauwatosa, Wis./Marquette University H.S.) both had tenth-place finishes in their respective events. Kirar swam a 17:22.65 in the 1,650-yard freestyle and Bretl timed out at 4:56.67 in the 500-yard freestyle.
- On the women’s side, senior Emily Trimpe (New Palestine, Ind./New Palestine) took home the two best finishes from the meet. Trimpe registered a fourth-place finish in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:32.12, while she also had a seventh-place nod in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:11.06).
- Freshman Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honor) had two top-ten performances for Valpo. In the 100-yard freestyle event, the rookie earned eighth place with a time of 55.61 and she also held a time of 1:02.22 in the 100-yard backstroke to receive tenth.
- Senior Rachel Law (Wayne, Pa./Villa Maria Academy) earned a result of eighth place in the 1,650-yard freestyle race by hitting the wall at 19:02.85. The veteran already holds seventh all-time in Valpo history in the event, with an impressive time of 18:03.74, accomplished last season.
The Crusaders take on Eastern Illinois University on Saturday, Jan. 28, to finish their home slate and regular season before the Horizon League Championships next month. The meet will begin at 1 p.m. at the ARC swimming pool.