The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s swimming teams hosted their second home meet of the 2018-19 season Saturday afternoon, as they took on Summit League foe Eastern Illinois at the ARC Pool. Both Valpo and EIU recorded 14 first-place finishes apiece on the afternoon, with junior Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) leading the way with a trio of first-place finishes for Valpo.
How It Happened
- The women’s events ended 134-128 in favor of Valpo, while the final tally in the men’s events was 152-110 in favor of Eastern Illinois.
- Paige Wright recorded first-place finishes in three different individual events to lead the women’s side, touching the wall first in the 200-free (1:59.43), 50-free (25.62), and 100-free (54.82).
- Freshman Isabel Jenny (New Albany, Ohio/New Albany) continued her strong start as a member of the Brown & Gold on Saturday, earning first-place finishes in the 100-back (1:00.72) and 50-back (28.42).
- In the first event of the afternoon, Jenny, junior Emily Baumgartner (Fishers, Ind./Fishers), junior Erica Martins (Harland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran), and junior Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) took home first place in the 200 medley relay, stopping the clock at 1:52.47.
- In the women’s 1000-free, freshman Alexis Orange (Porter, Ind./Chesterton) recorded a first-place finish as well, doing so in 11:17.46.
- Valpo took home the top two finishes in the 500-free, as freshman Maddy Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) took home first in 5:31.29, with Orange right behind her at 5:33.80.
- Martins earned an individual win as well on Saturday, placing first in the 50-fly with a time of 27.80.
- In the men’s events, senior Dylan Kirar (Arvada, Colo./Ralston Valley) touched the wall first twice, winning the 1000-free (9:59.67) and the 400 IM (4:20.67)
- Freshman Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) took home a pair of first place finishes as well, edging out the pack in the 50-breaststroke (27.31) and 100-breaststroke (1:00.58).
- Freshman Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura) also had a solid afternoon, taking home first place in the 50-back in 25.39. He also placed second in the 100-back, stopping the clock at 54.73.
Both teams are back in action next weekend, as they travel to Terre Haute to compete against Indiana State and Evansville on Saturday, Nov. 3. Events are slated to begin at noon.