The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s swim teams traveled to Terre Haute, Ind. this weekend for their second road meet of the 2018-19 season, competing against the host Indiana State Sycamores and the Evansville Purple Aces.
How It Happened
- The final score on the men’s side was 211-65 in favor on Evansville.
- In the men’s events, a pair of Valpo swimmers entered into the school record books, as senior Mac Sogandares (Reston, Va./South Lakes) and freshman Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) each recorded top-10 all-time finishes in the 1000 free and 100 breast, respectively.
- Sogandares was the runner-up in the 1000 free, finishing in 10:10.75. That time moved the senior up into ninth all-time in the event.
- Bennett was also the runner-up in his event, the 100 breast, stopping the clock at 59.39. Keeping his strong freshman season going, he now currently holds the seventh-best time in Valpo history for that event.
- Freshman Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) also took home a pair of individual runner up finishes on the afternoon, in both the 50 and 100 free. He finished the 50 in 21.91, and the 100 in 47.76. Junior Brendon Johnson (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook South) posted a second-place finish as well in the 200 fly.
- For the women, the final scores between the three teams was Evansville 240-53 Valpo and Indiana State 251-41 Valpo.
- Junior Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) led the way on the afternoon for Valpo, touching the wall in 1:03.02 in the 100 back to finish in fifth place, while also posting a time of 2:16.96 in the 200 back.
- Freshman Alexis Orange(Porter, Ind./Chesterton) battled in the distance events for Valpo, finishing the 500 free in 5:27.44 and the 1000 free in 11:22.68, finishing fifth in the latter event. Junior Emily Baumgartner (Fishers, Ind./Fishers) earned a fifth-place finish of her own in the 200 breast with a time of 2:37.28.
The next scheduled meet for Valpo is a week from today, on Saturday, Nov. 10, as the swimmers travel to University Center, Mich. for their meet with Saginaw Valley State and Davenport. Events are slated to begin at 1 p.m. CT.