The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s swimming teams competed in their second consecutive road meet on Saturday afternoon in University City, Mich., taking on Saginaw Valley State and Davenport in a tri-meet. Freshman Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) and senior Dylan Kirar (Arvada, Colo./Ralston Valley) led Valpo, each picking up a first place finish on the afternoon.
How It Happened
- The final tally from the men’s events was Saginaw Valley State 136 – 49 Valpo.
- Kirar kept up his strong senior campaign with the top time in the 1000 free, finishing first place in 9:57.53.
- May turned in a great performance in the 100 free, placing first and stopping the clock at 48.33. He also took second place in the 50 free with a 22.21 finish.
- Senior Mac Sogandares (Reston, Va./South Lakes) took home second place in the 200 free, stopping the clock at 1:47.45.
- Final scores from the women’s events were Saginaw Valley State 150 – 64 Valpo, and 129 Davenport – 89 Valpo.
- Freshman Maddie Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) recorded a second place finish in the 1000 free, touching the wall at 11:17.08. Her freshman teammate Alexis Orange (Porter, Ind./Chesterton) finished right behind her in third place at 11:18.00.
- Orange also placed third in the 500 free, stopping the clock at 5:28.20. Junior Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran) added a third-place finish of her own in the 50 free with a time of 25.69.
The next scheduled event for Valpo is the Phoenix Fall Classic in Chicago, slated for next weekend, Nov. 16-18. On Friday (11/16), finals are scheduled for 6 p.m. CT. Saturday (11/17) and Sunday (11/18), prelims are scheduled for 10 a.m. CT on both days, with finals at 6 p.m. CT and 5 p.m. CT, respectively.