The Valpo men’s and women’s swimming teams hit the road to face off against Youngstown State Saturday. The men’s team earned its first win of the year as it won nine out of the 14 events, with freshman Brian Daniels (Brookfield, Wis./Brooksfield) and sophomore Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura) both winning two individual events.
How It Happened
- Daniels picked up the first win for the men in the 1000 free, stopping the clock at 10:07.69. Later in the meet, Daniels won the 500 free with a time of 4:54.55.
- Eidson’s first win of the day came in the 200 free, touching the wall at 1:45.99. He also placed first in the 100 free (48.31) to win his second individual event of the day.
- Daniels and Eidson were joined by sophomore Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) and sophomore Keenan Burgess (Charlotte, N.C./Christ the King) to take top honors in the 400 free relay with a time of 3:18.22.
- Sophomore Rick Renner (Chantilly, Va./Lake Braddock) picked up his first win of the season in the 200 butterfly (2:07.77).
- Freshmen Gus Rytting (Houston, Texas/Lamar) and Ethan Johnson (Ames, Iowa/Ames) picked up their first wins of the season in the 200 breaststroke (2:13.78) and 200 backstroke (2:01.80), respectively.
- Senior Brendon Johnson (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) picked the last individual first-place finish for the Valpo men in the 400 IM (4:21.93).
- Freshman Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) picked up the lone win of the day for the Valpo women in the 100 breaststroke (1:08.21). DePover was also a runner-up in the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:32.32.
- Senior Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) finished with a pair of runner-up efforts on Saturday as well, placing second in the 1000 free (10:57.98) and the 200 back (2:12.93).
- The Valpo men picked up their first win of the season, defeating the Penguins, 159-104. It was the first win for the Valpo men since defeating Eastern Illinois in January of 2017.
- The women fell to YSU by a score of 189-73.
Valpo returns home on Saturday, Nov. 16 to face off against Saginaw Valley State. The events are scheduled to begin at the ARC Pool at 2 p.m.