The Valpo men’s swimming team brought its season to a conclusion on Saturday with the end of a prolific run at the MAC Championships, which saw eight new program records set over the four-day meet.
How It Happened
- The final day of action saw some more record book movement for the Beacon men. Ethan Welker (Clear Spring, Md./Saint James School) placed 16th in the 200 fly after qualifying with a prelim time of 1:54.39, improving upon his fourth-best time in program history.
- In the 200 breast, Andrew Berzai (South Bend, Ind./Mishawaka Marian) moved into fifth in program history in the event in the prelims and then lowered his time in the ‘B’ final, placing 15th with a time of 2:06.16. Brendan Stangeland (West Fargo, N.D./Sheyenne) also swam the ‘B’ final, coming in 16th place, while Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) swam a prelim of 2:04.98 in the event.
- Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) narrowly missed lowering his own record in the 100 free, finishing the event final in ninth place with a time of 44.98 — just .05 off his program record in the event.
- Ian Jaegers (Los Alamos, N.M./Los Alamos) paced Valpo in the 200 back with a prelim time of 1:58.44, while Alex Koetter (Cincinnati, Ohio/Moeller) led the Beacons in the 1650 free, touching the wall in 16:59.77.
- Valpo’s final relay of the meet, the 400 free relay came home in 3:12.02. Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura) swam a leadoff leg of 46.37, just .10 off his top time in the 100 free, which ranks third all-time at Valpo.
- The Beacons closed out the 2022 MAC Championships in sixth place.