The Valparaiso University men’s tennis team came away with a pair of singles championships on Sunday at the Western Michigan Invitational in Kalamazoo. Junior Brandon Ancona (Belvidere, Ill. / Rockford Christian) became the Flight C singles champion, while junior Franklin Brozovich (Fort Gratiot, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) picked up the Flight G title on the event’s final day.
How It Happened
- Ancona rolled to the win over Butler’s Aviv Ben Shabat, coming away with a 6-2, 6-2 victory.
- In Flight G, Brozovich won all three matches this weekend in straight sets. His Sunday championship featured 6-2, 6-1 set scores against Billy Sishler of Michigan State University.
- Daniel Langston (Ponca City, Okla. / Ponca City) dropped his consolation final against Jenya Sirious of Detroit Mercy 6-4, 6-4 in Flight E. Gabriel Carvajal (Pembroke Pines, Fla. / Broward Virtual School [Florida Atlantic]) also played in Flight E and fell on Sunday, succumbing his third-place match 7-5, 6-2 to Alex Guzhva of University of Chicago.
- Kweisi Kenyatte (Detroit, Mich. / East English Village Preparatory) was on the wrong end of a close 5-7, 6-3, 10-6 match in the Flight B Consolation draw final against Vito Tonejc of DePaul.
- In Flight F, Brian Pecyna (Glen Ellyn, Ill. / Homeschooled) dropped his third-place matchup with Western Michigan’s Zac Faveri 6-2, 6-3.
Inside the Match
- Ancona is up to 44 career singles wins and is off to a perfect 6-0 start to this season.
- With his three wins this weekend, Brozovich is 4-2 on the year and has reached the 25-win mark for his career.
After hosting the program’s annual Alumni Tournament this Saturday at 3 p.m. at the Valpo Tennis Complex, Valpo will return to outside competition on Oct. 5, the first day of the Purdue Fall Invitational.