The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s track and field teams concluded Day 2 of the Bulls Invitational at the University of South Florida in Tampa, finishing the outdoor season opener. The women garnered three Top 10 results and the men achieved 11.
How It Happened
- For the men, junior Andrew Guzek (Valparaiso, Ind. / Valparaiso) earned the top mark for Valpo at the invite. In the shot put, the thrower had a distance of 46’11” to take home third place. Freshman Jake Rasawehr (Celina, Ohio/Celina) received a sixth-place result (44’2 1/2").
- In the javelin event, sophomore Drew McKissick Jr. (Naperville, Ill./Neuqua Valley) earned sixth place with a throw of 167’5” to lead the Crusaders. Sophomore Peter Rhodes (McLeansville, N.C./Burlington Christian Academy) also competed in the event for Valpo.
- Junior jumper Montel Hall (Waukegan, Ill./Waukegan) leaped 44’10 3/4" in the triple jump, taking home eighth place. Freshman Nick Ricks (St. Louis, Mo./Lutheran North) and sophomore Malik Riley (Romeoville, Ill./Romeoville) tallied 10th (44’0”) and 11th (42’0 1/2") place marks.
- Freshman Bryce Otterbach (Mendota, Ill./Mendota Township) ran away with fourth place in the 400m hurdles with a time of 58.93, just clipping his fifth-place teammate, senior Mark Pinnow (Columbus, Ind./Trinity Lutheran), who crossed at 1:00.90.
- The team of senior Jeru Lollis (Springfield, Ohio/Springfield), freshman Taylor Allen (Zionsville, Ind./Zionsville), freshman Ben Sekuloski (Lowell, Ind./Lowell) and junior James Sampson (Naperville, Ill./Neuqua Valley) exited the 4x100m relay with a third-place result with a time of 42.63.
- Junior Alexander Watson (Bolivar, Ohio/Tuscarawas Valley) cleared the bar at 14’4” in the pole vault to take home seventh.
- Freshman Anne Mou (Bloomingdale, Ill./Lake Park) received the squad’s top placing for the women on Saturday. In the triple jump, she earned fifth place (35’2 1/2"). Freshman Shannon Lahey (Dixon, Ill./Dixon) had a distance of 32’5 3/4" for eighth.
- Sophomore Abby Jankowski threw the discus 124’10” for 10th place.
Valpo stays in-state as it travels to Rensselaer on Saturday, March 25 for the Edmonds Invite, hosted by Saint Joseph’s College. The meet will begin at 9 a.m. CT.