The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in Day 2 of the Horizon League Outdoor Championships at Youngstown State University on Saturday. The men have 21 points and the women have tallied nine points after two days of competing. The men scored nine of their points in the pole vault.
How It Happened
- The Crusaders received five points from junior Alexander Watson (Bolivar, Ohio/Tuscarawas Valley), who had a height of 15’1” in the pole vault to finish in fourth. This mark ties Watson’s previous best height, which ranks second in team history. Sophomore Evan Snow (Jackson Township, Ohio/Jackson) and sophomore Zachary Topper (Portage, Ind./Portage) finished sixth and seventh respectively, with heights of 14’7 1/4" and 14’1 1/4".
- In the decathlon, sophomore Connor Hickey (Peru, Ill./LaSalle-Peru) secured a sixth-place mark with a total of 4,725 points. He won the 1,500m race, finishing in 4:47.65, which earned him 633 points. His performance awards Valpo three points to help increase the team total.
- Freshman Michael Collins (Newark, Del./Red Lion Christian Academy) added a point to the team total with his outcome in the 3,000m steeplechase. The distance runner ran a 10:13.61 to finish in eighth. Teammate sophomore Tim Zange (Robins, La./Kennedy) crossed the line right after.
- Sophomore Malik Riley (Romeoville, Ill./Romeoville) led the squad in the long jump, soaring 21’4 1/4", coming in ninth. Junior Andrew Guzek (Valparaiso, Ind./Valparaiso) had the top distance in the shot put for the Brown and Gold.
- Freshman Ben Sekuloski (Lowell, Ind./Lowell) qualifies for the 400m finals, freshman Bryce Otterbach (Mendota, Ill./Mendota Township) in the 400m hurdles and sophomore Alexander Bruno (Bloomington, Ill./University) and junior Ben Zibricky (New Lenox, Ill./Lincoln Way Central) in the 800m race. All events take place on Sunday, May 7.
- Senior Liz Owen (Freedom, Wis./Freedom) crossed the line in 11:02.65 for a third-place nod in the 3,000m steeplechase. The standout captured six points for the Valpo women.
- Sophomore Nellie Bonham (Palos Hills, Ill./Stagg) launched the shot put 41’9 3/4" to land in sixth, earning three points for the Crusaders.
- Sophomore Anne Mou (Bloomingdale, Ill./Lake Park) had a distance of 16’9 3/4" in the long jump, leading the Valpo women in the event.
- Freshmen Kayla Horne led the team in the 400m dash and Kate Mitchell (Algonquin, Ill./Huntley) paced the team in the 800m race.
The final day of the Horizon League Outdoor Championships will begin at 9 a.m. CT at Youngstown State University. Fans can view the action on ESPN3 at 9:55 a.m. CT, a link to the video can be found on ValpoAthletics.com.