The Valpo softball team kicked off its 2021 season on Friday afternoon at The Dome in Rosemont, Ill., falling to tournament host DePaul by an 8-0 final.
How It Happened
- DePaul opened the scoring in the bottom of the first on a solo homer from Gabby O’Riley and plated another run in the second inning on back-to-back doubles.
- Valpo got its first baserunner in the top of the fourth, as with one out, junior Peyton Moeder (Shawnee, Kan./Mill Valley) lifted a triple over the left fielder’s head that rolled to the wall. Moeder would be stranded on third, however.
- The Blue Demons broke the game open with five runs in the bottom of the fourth, including a three-run homer by Pearl Barroso.
- DePaul closed out the game with a solo homer by Maranda Gutierrez in the fifth.
Inside the Game
- Friday marked the first time Valpo has opened a season indoors since 2012. Its last dome game came at the 2019 Missouri Valley Conference tournament.
- Friday’s loss came to a DePaul squad picked to finish second in the Big East this year.
- Moeder’s base hit was one of two for Valpo on the day, as junior Kate Beckemeyer (Forsyth, Ill./Maroa-Forsyth [Parkland]) connected for a two-out single in the fifth inning.
- Sophomore Easton Seib (Blue Springs, Mo./Blue Springs South) started in the circle and took the loss, throwing three-plus innings. Junior Taylor Knight (Omaha, Neb./Elkhorn South) entered in relief and registered the final three outs.
- Valpo committed no errors defensively on Friday.
Valpo (0-1) continues play at the DePaul Dome Tournament with two games on Saturday, taking on Western Illinois at 9 a.m., followed immediately afterwards by a matchup against Kansas City.