The Valpo softball team closed out its MVC home series Sunday at the Valpo Softball Complex against Missouri State, with the visiting Bears coming away 8-0 victors.
How It Happened
- Missouri State scored a run in the first two batters into the game. Later in the frame, with runners on second and third and nobody out, junior Taylor Knight (Omaha, Neb./Elkhorn South) recorded back-to-back strikeouts and then induced a grounder to limit the Bears to one run.
- The Valpo defense turned a double play in the second inning, as a ground ball to short turned into two outs when Ryan Milkowski (Olathe, Kan./Olathe West) threw across the diamond to third to catch the MSU runner on base trying to advance from second to third.
- Missouri State struck for five runs in the top of the third, including a grand slam from Darian Frost.
- The Bears added a solo homer in the fourth and a sacrifice fly in the sixth for the final margin.
Inside the Game
- Defensively, Valpo turned a double play in all three games of this weekend’s series.
- Junior Peyton Moeder (Shawnee, Kan./Mill Valley) picked up a double in the sixth inning, her first two-bagger since March 1, 2020.
- Juniors Kate Beckemeyer (Forsyth, Ill./Maroa-Forsyth [Parkland]) and Taylor Herschbach (Lockport, Ill./Lockport Township) each registered base hits Sunday as well.
Valpo is scheduled to play a mid-week doubleheader on Wednesday afternoon at Loyola starting at 2 p.m. With the potential for weather-related game changes, watch ValpoAthletics.com and @ValpoSoftball on Twitter for any updates.