The Valpo softball team began its final series of the regular season with a Friday doubleheader against Illinois State, falling to the visiting Redbirds by final scores of 6-0 and 10-0.
How It Happened – Game One
- It was a slow start offensively for both teams, as each side had just one baserunner through the first three innings — Valpo’s coming on a one-out single in the first inning from senior Addi Burke (Mesquite, Texas/John Horn).
- Illinois State got on the board with a two-run homer in the fourth from Emme Olson.
- Valpo threatened in the bottom half of the frame, putting two runners on base thanks to singles from juniors Kate Beckemeyer (Forsyth, Ill./Maroa-Forsyth) and Peyton Moeder (Shawnee, Kan./Mill Valley), but a pickoff ended the inning.
- The Redbirds added two more runs in the top of the fifth and posted one run apiece in the sixth and seventh innings to complete the scoring.
How It Happened – Game Two
- A two-run homer from Illinois State’s Mack Leonard in the top of the third opened the scoring.
- Valpo put a runner into scoring position in the bottom of that inning, thanks to a two-out single from junior Jaina Westphal (Waterford, Wis./Burlington) and a subsequent stolen base, before a groundout ended the frame.
- The Redbirds went on to score five in the sixth and three in the seventh for the final margin.
Inside the Games
- Moeder picked up two of Valpo’s four hits in the opener with a pair of singles.
- Burke reached base twice as well in the first game with her first-inning single and a walk.
- Sophomore Lauren Kehlenbrink (Ballwin, Mo./Parkway South) drew a walk in the second game to go along with Westphal’s hit, as Valpo was limited to just two baserunners in the nightcap.
Valpo closes out the regular season on Saturday with the series finale against the Redbirds. First pitch is set for 11 a.m. Following the game, the program will hold its Senior Day ceremony, where it will honor Burke and senior manager Alex Dixon.