Saturday, November 09, 2013
Valparaiso (0-0, 0-0 Horizon)
at Saint Louis (0-1, 0-0 Atlantic 10)
Game #1 - Sunday, November 10 - 1:00 p.m.
Chaifetz Arena (10,600) - St. Louis, Mo.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: Valparaiso opens the 2013-14 season on Sunday afternoon as the Crusaders take on Saint Louis at Chaifetz Arena at a 1:00 p.m. tip. Sunday’s game represents the third time in the last four seasons that the Brown and Gold have opened the season on the road.
Last Time Out: Four Crusaders tallied double digit points as Valpo defeated Saint Joseph’s (Ind.) 89-62 in an exhibition game Tuesday evening. Sharon Karungi impressed in her Crusader debut. The junior led all scorers with 23 and added 14 rebounds for the double-double. Jessi Wiedemann knocked down five of her ten three-point attempts en route to a 20-point night. Charae Richardson contributed 18 first-half points as the Brown and Gold shot 48.5% from the floor.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - Valpo Sports Radio Network (WVUR, 95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Renee’ Turpa (PxP) and Joey Basil (Color)
Links for the audio, as well as live stats, will be available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, ValpoGameday.com is a one-stop shop for live video, stats and social media interaction, all on the same page.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (11-20) is in her second season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2013-14. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-2003.
Series Notes: This will be the ninth meeting between Valpo and Saint Louis, with both teams having won four games each. The Billikens edged the Crusaders 53-47 at the ARC last December. This will be Valpo’s first game inside Chaifetz Arena.
- Valparaiso opens its seventh season as a member of the Horizon League Sunday in the Gateway to the West.
- The trip to St. Louis is the first of three the Crusaders will make before playing at the ARC.
- Valpo is looking to start its slate with a win on the road for the first time since the 1999-2000 season.
- Valparaiso and Saint Louis resumed their series last season after a 14-year hiatus.
- The Brown and Gold return one starter, Charae Richardson, from a year ago.
- Valpo was picked to finish 9th in the Horizon League Preseason Poll.
- The Crusaders opened last season with two straight wins; one over Big Ten foe Indiana, the other against Purdue-Calumet.
- Valpo will face an A-10 team, a Big Ten team, and a Big East team in a matter of six days.
...looking back at last year
- @ValpoWBB.wrapped up 2012-13 with nine wins at the Athletics-Recreation Center.
- @ValpoWBB defeated Milwaukee and IPFW for their two road wins.
- @ValpoWBB boasted Second Team All-Horizon League player Tabitha Gerardot. Gerardot aveaged 15.5 points/game and 9.2 rebounds per game.
- The Billikens lost their season opener 74-59 to Missouri Friday evening..
- They trailed by just two points at halftime, but Mizzou pulled away early in the second he half thanks to a 9-2 run.
- Freshman Erin Nelson scored 25 points in her debut for Saint Louis.
- The Billikens finished up the 2012-13 season 12-19 overall, and 5-9 in A-10 play..
- Lisa Stone is in her second season as head coach of the Billikens. Stone has amassed a 515-256 overall record in 27+ seasons.
- Scored first collegiate points at historic Cameron Indoor Stadium last November..
- Made collegiate debut on November 14th versus Purdue-Calumet.
- Tossed in 11 points versus Western Michigan in 19 minutes last December.
- Made collegiate debut against the Indiana Hoosiers Nov, 9th, 2012.
- Made first start in Hinkle Fieldhouse versus the Butler Bulldogs.
- Scored 13 points in Valpo’s 88-62 victory over UIC on Feb. 16th, 2013.
- Played in all 31 games for the Crusaders last season, including 28 starts.
- Carried an 84.1 free-throw percentage.
- Scored 18 points at UIC on Jan. 19th, 2013.
- Finished second on the team last season in three-pointers (24) and assists (95).
- Appeared in 30 games for the Brown and Gold.
- Named Crusaders’ Most Improved Player in 2012-13.
- Scored 19 points, including 3-for-3 shooting from behind the arc, at Western Michigan on Dec. 19th.
- At 6’2’’ she is tallest player on Valpo roster.
- Averaged 7.8 points and 8.6 rebounds at Northern Oklahoma College.
- Had a double-double in her Crusader debut (23 points, 14 rebounds) versus Saint Joseph’s (exhibition).
- Appeared in all 31 games including four starts as a freshman for Coach Dorow.
- Made collegiate debut versus Indiana
- Scored 13 points off the bench versus Detroit on Mar. 9th, 2013.
- Knocked down five three-pointers in Valpo’s exhibition win over Saint Joseph’s this past Tuesday.
- Valpo welcomes six new players (two freshmen, four transfers) to its team this season.
- Haylee Thompson and Annemarie Hamlet will sit out this season per NCAA transfer eligibilty rules.
- The Brown and Gold boast players from six different states and two countries.
- Liz Horton is the only true senior on this year’s squad.