UIC (10-4, 0-1 Horizon)
at Valparaiso (4-10, 0-1 Horizon)
Game #15 - Saturday, January 10 - 1:35 p.m. CT
Athletics-Recreation Center (5,000) - Valparaiso, Ind.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: Valparaiso hosts its first Horizon League contest of the 2014-15 slate when HL Player of the Year candidate Ruvanna Campbell (16.9 PPG, 12.9 RPG) and the UIC Flames visit the Athletics-Recreation Center Saturday afternoon. The Crusaders and Flames will be meeting for the 42nd time in the history of the series.
Last Time Out: The Crusaders led Cleveland State for 24 minutes Thursday night, but a 38-point second half propelled the Vikings to a 69-62 victory at the Wolstein Center. Freshman Jasmyn Walker earned her first double-double as the forward accumulated 18 points (7-of-11 FG) and 10 rebounds. Lexi Miller pitched in 12 points off the bench while Valpo shot a collective 7-12 (58.3%) from three-point range, but Cori Coleman and Imani Gordon each recorded a game-high 19 points. CSU outscored the Crusaders 18-5 from the foul line.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - Valpo Sports Radio Network (WVUR, 95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Brandon Vickrey (PxP), Renee’ Turpa (Color), Jordan Morandini (Color). Video - ESPN3.com. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, ValpoGameday.com is a one-stop shop for live video, stats and social media interaction, all on the same page.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (21-55) is in her third season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2014-15. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 walloping of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: Valparaiso owns a 21-20 advantage all-time over UIC in a series that started on December 4th, 1980. The Flames have won nine of the last 12 contests after snapping a seven-game losing streak to the Brown and Gold in February of 2009. The Crusaders are 13-6 at home versus the Flames.
- The Flames enter Saturday’s game averaging 12.6 steals per game, the 7th-highest rate in the nation. Valpo averages 3.9/tilt (343rd).
- UIC is last in the Horizon League in three-pointers made (45). The second-to-last team - Green Bay - has 93.
- The Flames have held their opponents to under 30 points twice in the last three games (Robert Morris Springfield, Loyola Chicago).
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2013-14 slate with a 6-25 overall record, 3-13 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish eighth in the Horizon League in the 2014-15 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB is 7th nationally in defensive rebounds/game (31).
- @ValpoWBB’s 37.9% mark from three-point range leads the HL
- Jasmyn Walker (@jazwalker3) has produced at a 18.0 PPG, 7.3 RPG clip the last three contests.
- @ValpoWBB has scored exactly 62 points three times in its last six games.
- @UIC_WBasketball finished 2013-14 with a 26-9 overall record, and a 10-6 mark in the Horizon League.
- @UIC_WBasketball defeated IPFW, Eastern Michigan, Fairfield and Stephen F. Austin en route to a WBI Championship last season.
- @UIC_WBasketball’s Ruvanna Campbell is averaging 16.9 points and 12.9 rebounds per game.
- Campbell’s 12.9 boards/game ranks 3rd in the nation.
- Only five players in the nation have more double-doubles than Campbell (10).
- @UIC_WBasketball is 11th in the country in scoring defense (52.6 points per game).
- @UIC_WBasketball’s Regina Miller is in her fourth season as head coach of the Flames.
- Miller oversaw @UIC_WBasketball’s school record 26 wins in 2013-14.
- Miller has made three Final Four appearances: one as a player and two as an assistant coach.
- Notched her first career double-double vs Purdue-Calumet (Dec. 30).
- Tallied career highs in points (22), rebounds (8), and field goals made (8) at SIU-Edwardsville on Dec. 20th.
- Recorded game highs in points (16) and assists (6) to lead Valpo to a 79-61 win versus Tennessee Tech on Nov. 22nd.
- Finished in double figures (14) for the first time in eight games last Tuesday versus Purdue-Calumet.
- Registered a career-high 21 points on 9-of-11 shooting vs. Butler on Nov. 14th.
- Got her first double-double as a Crusader vs. Purdue-Calumet (Dec. 30).
- Scored 11 points in her Valpo debut vs. Butler (Nov. 14).
- Made her collegiate debut at South Dakota (Dec. 9) and knocked down her first - and only - three-point attempt.
- Has not missed a free-throw since December 3rd (8 for last 8).
- Nailed four treys as part of a 16-point first half at SIU-Edwardsville on Dec. 20th.
- One of two Crusaders to have more assists (31) than turnovers (22).
- Finished a point shy of her career-high at NIU (Nov. 20) as she guided Valpo with 17 points on 4-of-5 shooting from three-point range.
- Valpo’s top scorer (13.1 PPG) and field goal shooter (49.3%).
- Named Horizon League Freshman of the Week twice (11/24, 12/15).
- Had her first career double-double (13 pts., 12 rebs) at NIU.
- Returned to action Thursday after missing the last six games.
- Leads team in rebounding (6.9 RPG), blocks, (9) and steals (11).
- Named Horizon League Freshman of the Week on Monday.
- Has started all 13 games to open her Crusader career.
- Has scored in double figures each of the last three games.
- Set season highs in points (15) and rebounds (11) vs. Purdue-Calumet.
- Out indefinitely (injury).
- Valpo welcomes four new faces (all freshmen) to its team this season.
- Valparaiso boasts players from seven different states and two countries.
- The Crusaders possess five players 6’0’’ or taller.