Valparaiso (4-14, 0-5 Horizon)
at UIC (12-6, 2-3 Horizon)
Game #19 - Tuesday, January 27 - 7:00 p.m. CT
UIC Pavilion (8,000) - Chicago, Ill.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: Valparaiso will make the short trip over to the Windy City Tuesday night for a Horizon League contest versus UIC. The two teams will close out the regular season series after meeting just 17 days prior at the Athletics-Recreation Center. Both teams are coming off road losses to Milwaukee in their last games.
Last Time Out: Lexi Miller posted a career-high 21 points while Jessica Carr recorded a career-best 11 assists, but Milwaukee claimed a 90-79 shootout at the Klotsche Center on Wednesday. The Crusaders cut a second-half double-digit deficit to five on a pair of occasions in the final 90 seconds, but the Panthers made 19 free-throws in the latter stanza to stave off a late Valpo rally. Jasmyn Walker had her second double-double (10 points, 11 rebounds) and Dani Franklin scored 22 on the most efficient shooting performance (8-10 FGs) of her young career, but UWM’s Ashley Green led all scorers with 31 points.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - Valpo Sports Radio Network (WVUR, 95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Tommy Mantice (PxP), Renee’ Turpa (Color), Brandon Vickrey (Color). Video - ESPN3.com. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, ValpoGameday.com is a one-stop shop for live video, stats and social media interaction, all on the same page.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (21-59) is in her third season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2014-15. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 walloping of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: The all-time series that started in December of 1980 is all knotted at 21-21. The Flames have been victorious in 10 of the last 13 contests after snapping a seven-game losing streak to the Brown and Gold in February of 2009. UIC is 12-7 at home versus the Crusaders.
- Jessica Carr is a perfect 12-for-12 from the free-throw line in her career versus UIC (8 games).
- Abby Dean is 11-for-21 (52.4%) from the field in five career games versus UIC.
- Ruvanna Campbell has the same number of field goal attempts (268) as Lexi Miller and Jasmyn Walker combined.
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2013-14 slate with a 6-25 overall record, 3-13 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish eighth in the Horizon League in the 2014-15 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB’s 27 field goals made Wednesday at Milwaukee were its most against a D-I opponent since Nov. 22nd (Tennessee Tech).
- @ValpoWBB’s 13 treys versus UWM were as many as it made vs. Stetson, UIC, Oakland, and Wright State combined.
- After beginning the season 8-1, @UIC_WBasketball is 4-5 in its last nine contests.
- @UIC_WBasketball ended a four-game road trip Saturday with a 64-63 overtime loss to Milwaukee at the Klotsche Center.
- @UIC_WBasketball is in the nation’s top 10 in steals per game (4th, 12.2) and offensive rebounds per game (7th, 18).
- @UIC_WBasketball’s Ruvanna Campbell leads the country in offensive rebounds per game (5) and is 3rd in total rebounding (14.2/game).
- Campbell had 30 points and 19 rebounds versus Valpo on Jan. 10th.
- @UIC_WBasketball’s Terri Bender averages 14.9 points, 4.3 assists, and 3.3 steals per game.
- Bender recorded 17 points, five assists, four steals, and no turnovers in her last game vs. the Crusaders.
- Regina Miller is in her fourth season as head coach of the Flames.
- Miller received a three-year contract extension last Tuesday that will keep her at UIC through the 2017-18 season.
- Distributed a career-high 11 assists at Milwaukee last Wednesday en route to her second double-double in the last seven games.
- Tallied career bests in points (22), rebounds (8), and field goals made (8) at SIU-Edwardsville on Dec. 20th.
- Recorded game highs in points (16) and assists (6) to lead Valpo to a 79-61 win versus Tennessee Tech on Nov. 22nd.
- Perfect from the charity stripe in her last three games.
- Finished in double figures (14) for the first time in eight games versus Purdue-Calumet (Dec. 30).
- Registered a career-high 21 points (9-11 FG) vs. Butler (Nov. 14).
- Had her first double-double against Purdue-Calumet (Dec. 30).
- Scored 11 points in her Valpo debut vs. Butler (Nov. 14).
- Made her collegiate debut at South Dakota (Dec. 9) and knocked down her first - and only - three-point attempt.
- Scored 34 points in a three-game span from Dec. 20th to Jan. 3rd.
- Nailed four treys as part of a 16-point first half at SIU-Edwardsville on Dec. 20th.
- Racked up career highs in points (21), field goals (7), and three-pointers (5) last time out.
- Has doles out at least one assist in every game this season.
- Guided Valpo with 17 points on 4-of-5 shooting from three-point range at Northern Illinois (Nov. 20).
- Valpo’s top scorer (12.8 PPG) and best three-point shooter (45.8%).
- Named Horizon League Freshman of the Week twice (11/24, 12/15).
- Had her first career double-double (13 pts., 12 rebs) at NIU.
- Returned to action last Jan. 8th at CSU after missing six games.
- Has finished in double figures in six of the last seven games.
- Leads team in rebounds (7.3 RPG) and blocks (9).
- Named Horizon League Freshman of the Week twice (1/5, 1/19).
- Owner of two double-doubles this season (Purdue-Calumet, Stetson).
- Set season highs in points (15) and rebounds (11) vs. Purdue-Calumet.
- Out indefinitely (injury).
- Valpo welcomes four new faces (all freshmen) to its team this season.
- Valparaiso boasts players from seven different states and two countries.
- The Crusaders possess five players 6’0’’ or taller.