Valparaiso (6-22, 2-13 Horizon)
at Youngstown State (19-9, 8-7 Horizon)
Game #29 - Saturday, March 7 - 1:05 p.m. CT
Beeghly Center (6,500) - Youngstown, Ohio
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: The Crusaders round out the regular season Saturday afternoon in Youngstown, Ohio in a 1:05 pm CT jump ball. Valpo’s destination for the Horizon League Tournament play-in game Monday night has yet to be determined, but the Brown and Gold can do their part to surpass last season’s win total with a victory against the Penguins. A win combined with a Cleveland State loss and a Milwaukee win would give Youngstown State the tiebreaker for third place in the league standings over the Vikings.
Last Time Out: Valpo saw a two-point halftime lead evaporate in a 70-55 loss to Oakland at the Athletics Center O'Rena Thursday night. Freshman Jasmyn Walker squeezed a career-high 15 rebounds and classmate Dani Franklin regained her early-February form, posting 22 points on 8-of-13 shooting. The Golden Grizzlies amassed 14 steals while forcing 22 Brown and Gold turnovers.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - Valpo Sports Radio Network (WVUR, 95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Tommy Mantice (PxP), Brandon Vickrey (Color), Parker Gatewood (Color). Video - ESPN3.com. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, ValpoGameday.com is a one-stop shop for live video, stats and social media interaction, all on the same page.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (23-67) is in her third season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2014-15. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 walloping of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: Youngstown State leads the all-time series 22-14. The Penguins have taken eight of the last nine meetings after breaking up a stretch where the Crusaders won four of five from 2008-2010. Valpo dropped the first meeting of this season two weeks ago at the Athletics-Recreation Center, 87-69.
- If Wright State defeats Milwaukee on Saturday, the Crusaders will travel to Milwaukee on Monday for the #8/#9 game.
- If Milwaukee defeats Wright State and Cleveland State beats UIC, the Crusaders will go to Oakland for Monday’s #8/#9 game.
- If Cleveland State defeats UIC, the Vikings will clinch the #3 seed.
- If Youngstown State defeats Valpo, UIC beats Cleveland State, and Milwaukee wins versus Wright State, the Penguins will own the tiebreaker by virtue of their sweep over 7th-seeded Oakland.
- If Youngstown State defeats Valpo, UIC beats Cleveland State, and Wright State wins versus Milwaukee, the Vikings will own the tiebreaker by virtue of their sweep over 7th-seeded Milwaukee.
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2013-14 slate with a 6-25 overall record, 3-13 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish eighth in the Horizon League in the 2014-15 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB is in search of its first daytime win of the season.
- @YSUWomensHoops enter Saturday afternoon’s game with a 19-9 record, and an 8-7 mark in Horizon League play.
- @YSUWomensHoops is shooting a league-best 34.9% from beyond the arc.
- At 75.7%, @YSUWomensHoops is the top free-throw shooting team in the Horizon League.
- @YSUWomensHoops’ Heidi Schlegel is third in the league in both scoring (17.6 PPG) and rebounding (9.8 RPG).
- With 1,632 points, Schlegel is fifth on the Penguins’ all-time career scoring list.
- UIC’s Ruvanna Campbell is the only HL player with more double-doubles (21) than Schlegel’s 11.
- @YSUWomensHoops’g John Barnes is in his second season as head coach.
- Barnes has held coaching positions at Michigan Tech (2003-10), Wisconsin (2010-11), Michigan (2011-12), and Green Bay (2012-13).
- Distributed a career-high 11 assists at Milwaukee (Jan. 21) en route to her second double-double in seven games.
- Tallied career bests in points (22), rebounds (8), and field goals made (8) at SIU-Edwardsville on Dec. 20th.
- Recorded game highs in points (16) and assists (6) to lead Valpo to a 79-61 win versus Tennessee Tech on Nov. 22nd.
- Notched her 500th career point on Thursday night vs. Oakland.
- Led team in scoring with 15 points last time out vs. YSU.
- Registered a career-high 21 points (9-11 FG) vs. Butler (Nov. 14).
- Had her first double-double against Purdue-Calumet (Dec. 30).
- Scored 11 points in her Valpo debut vs. Butler (Nov. 14).
- Scored nine points off the bench versus Green Bay (Jan. 29).
- Made her collegiate debut at South Dakota (Dec. 9) and knocked down her first - and only - three-point attempt.
- Accrued 11 points, five boards, four assists, and three steals in just 19 minutes of action at Detroit (Feb. 5th).
- Scored 34 points in a three-game span from Dec. 20th to Jan. 3rd.
- Has made a FG and doled out at least one assist in every game this season.
- Guided Valpo with 17 points on 4-of-5 shooting from three-point range at Northern Illinois (Nov. 20).
- Valpo’s top scorer (12.9 PPG) and best field goal shooter (47.8%).
- Scored 22 points Thursday night for the second time in league play.
- Tied for the lead in Horizon League Freshman of the Week awards with three (11/24, 12/15, 2/9).
- Posted her first double-double since 3/1/14 at Wright State (Feb. 7), tallying 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Returned to form at UIC (Jan. 27) where she scored eight points and squeezed ten boards.
- Needs three rebounds to crack Valpo’s top-10 for a single season.
- Smothered a career-best 15 rebounds at Oakland on Thursday.
- Has amassed eight double-doubles in league play.
- Leads team in rebounds (8.2 RPG) and blocks (11).
- Tied for the lead in Horizon League Freshman of the Week awards with three (1/5, 1/19, 2/16).
- Owner of two double-doubles this season (Purdue-Calumet, Stetson).
- Set season highs in points (15) and rebounds (11) vs. Purdue-Calumet.