The Valpo women’s basketball team was unable to complete a weekend sweep of its road trip through Iowa on Sunday, as host UNI earned a 68-38 victory over the Beacons. Senior Carie Weinman (Glenview, Ill./Glenbrook South [Denver]) reached the 1,000-point milestone for her collegiate career with a basket early in the fourth quarter.
How It Happened
- Valpo never led on Sunday, with the Panthers scoring the first five points of the game.
- The Beacons got to within 9-7 with 4:18 to play in the opening period on a 3-pointer from Weinman.
- UNI ended the quarter on an 8-0 run and then scored the first five points of the second quarter to extend its lead to 15 points with 7:44 to play in the half.
- Valpo scored four straight to close to within 22-11 with 4:11 to play in the period, but the Panthers scored 12 of the final 14 points of the half to go up 34-13 at intermission.
- Two 3-pointers in a stretch of three possessions from Caitlin Morrison (Glenview, Ill./Glenbrook South) brought Valpo within 39-23 with 3:07 to play in the third quarter.
- The Panthers outscored the Beacons 11-4 over the final three minutes of the quarter to push their lead to 50-27 with 10 minutes to play.
- Valpo got no closer than 21 points in the fourth quarter.
Inside the Game
- Weinman drove in for a layup on the first possession of the fourth quarter to reach the 1,000-point milestone for her collegiate career. Weinman scored 191 points in one season at Denver and has scored 811 points in three seasons in the Valpo uniform.
- Weinman is the second Valpo player to reach 1,000 collegiate points this year, joining Shay Frederick (Greenville, Wis./Hortonville).
- Valpo’s 38 points marked its second-lowest output of the season (South Dakota). The Beacons shot just 25% from the floor on Sunday, matched a season low with four 3-pointers and committed 17 turnovers.
- Weinman paced the Beacons with seven points, while Morrison scored six and led Valpo with five rebounds.
Valpo (7-15, 5-6 MVC) returns home to the ARC, hosting Bradley on Thursday evening. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m.