The #25 Valparaiso University bowling team earned a pair of victories on Saturday as it continued play at the Columbia 300 Music City Classic in Smyrna, Tenn.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened Saturday’s action, contested in the traditional team format, versus #18 North Carolina A&T. Fifth-year senior Olivia Wirtz (Battle Creek, Mich./Harper Creek [Vanderbilt] led Valpo with a 191 game, but the Crusaders fell by a 922-840 final.
- Senior Marianna Guerrieri (Aurora, Ill./Waubonsie Valley) paced the Crusaders with a game of 211 in their second match of the day, a 908-871 loss against #19 Prairie View A&M. Valpo then took on the nation’s top-ranked team in McKendree, dropping a 918-859 decision despite a 203 game from senior Savannah Carr (Buckeye, Ariz./Youngker).
- Carr would pace the Crusaders in their next match as well, rolling Valpo’s top game of the day as her 229 effort led the way for a 908-833 victory over Elmhurst.
- Valpo closed the day on a winning note, as the Crusaders edged out Lincoln in their final match, 815-810 – led by a 179 game from freshman Morgan Peacha (Henderson, Nev./Foothill).
- Valpo ended the day in 29th place with a pinfall count of 8,483 pins through two days of competition.
The Crusaders (44-49) finish out action from Smyrna with bracket play on Sunday morning, beginning at 8:30 a.m. versus Louisiana Tech.