A young Valparaiso University bowling squad got off to a strong start to the 2017-18 season on the first day of action at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Invitational in Kenner, La., posting three of the top baker matches in program history and averaging better than 200 per game as the Crusaders ended the day in fifth place out of 14 competing teams.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the season against #5 Sam Houston State and easily defeated the Bearkats to open the season on a winning note, 1095-955.
- The Crusaders followed with a rout of Texas Southern, breaking the 1,000-pin mark in five-game baker action for the second straight match in a 1078-817 win.
- A 1002-927 loss to #19 UAB followed, and the Crusaders then dropped a 938-890 decision against host #17 Tulane. Valpo surpassed 1,000 pins for the third time in the day’s finale, but was edged by UAB in their second meeting of the day, 1020-1017.
Between the Gutters
- The Crusaders enter 2017-18 with one of the nation’s youngest teams, as their 11-player roster features just four seasons of collegiate experience.
- Valpo’s 1095 score in the day’s opener against Sam Houston State was the program’s third-best effort in a five-game baker match in program history, as the Crusaders averaged 219.0 over the five games.
- The 215.6 average in the very next match against Texas Southern ranks fifth on that same list of top scores in program history. Meanwhile, the 271-pin margin of victory ranks third all-time for a Crusader team in a five-game baker match.
- Despite dropping the finale to UAB, Valpo’s 203.4 per game average in the final match was good for ninth on the program’s top-10 chart for five-game baker matches.
- No other day in program history owns three spots on any of the Crusaders’ top-10 charts. The four-game baker top-10 list features two matches apiece from Jan. 19, 2012 and Jan. 27, 2012.
- Valpo ended the day with 5,007 pins over the five matches, good for fifth place out of the 14-team field – which features seven nationally-ranked squads. The Crusaders ended the day just 31 pins behind fourth-place Lincoln Memorial.
Saturday’s action from Kenner, La. features five traditional team matches for the Crusaders. Action is slated to start at 8:55 a.m.