The Valparaiso University bowling team posted a perfect 3-0 record on the final day of action on Sunday at the Brunswick Bearcat Open in Fairview Heights, Ill., hosted by McKendree.
How It Happened
- Sunday’s bracket play was contested in the best-of-seven baker format, and Valpo opened the day against #11 UW-Whitewater. The Crusaders won games four and five to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 lead. UWW won game six to force a decisive game seven, but Valpo earned the 4-3 win thanks to a 215 in the finale.
- The victory in the opener sent Valpo into a matchup with #24 Youngstown State. The Crusaders fell behind the Penguins, 3-2, before a 186-169 win sent Valpo into a second straight game seven. For the second straight match, the Crusaders put it together in the finale, rolling a 219 to finish out the 4-3 victory.
- Valpo’s final match of the tournament came against #RV Lincoln Memorial. The Crusaders jumped out to a 3-0 lead, including a 231 effort in game two, before LMU claimed games four and five. Valpo closed out the 4-2 win as it edged Lincoln Memorial by seven pins in game six.
- With the trio of wins on Sunday in bracket action, the Crusaders posted a 6-6 record for the weekend and finished in 15th place.
- Sunday marked the first time that Valpo posted a 3-0 day in best-of-seven baker play since the FDU New Jersey Jamboree, which opened the 2014-15 season.
Valpo (11-14) hosts the Crusader Challenge next weekend at Lynwood Bowl in Lynwood, Ill. The two-day event begins on Saturday, Nov. 4.