The #25 Valparaiso University bowling team earned victories in all five of its matches on Friday – including wins over three teams ranked above the Crusaders in the latest NTCA poll – as it opened hosting of the Crusader Classic at Lakewood Bowl in Richton Park, Ill.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened tournament play Friday, contested in the five-game baker format, against #15 Central Missouri and edged out the Jennies, 915-913. The two-pin margin of victory was the closest in a five-game baker match in program history.
- The next win came a bit easier for the Crusaders, as Valpo defeated #24 Lincoln Memorial by a 906-830 final. Valpo followed with an 838-822 victory over Drury.
- The Crusaders earned their third win in as many attempts against ranked opposition in their next match, taking down #22 Maryville, 954-882.
- Valpo closed out Friday’s action with its largest win of the day, defeating Alabama A&M by 190 pins, 807-617.
- The Crusaders totaled 4,420 pins on Friday, good for fifth in the 13-team field and just 67 pins out of third position. Due to weather and travel concerns, the event will now be contested as three separate one-day tournaments. #1 Nebraska claimed Friday’s victory with 4,875 total pins.
Valpo (36-30) continues hosting of the Crusader Classic on Saturday with traditional team matches beginning at 9:30 a.m.