The #25 Valparaiso University bowling team closed out the Crusader Classic on Sunday afternoon at Lakewood Bowl in Richton Park, Ill., finishing sixth on the day and closing the weekend with a 9-3 overall record.
How It Happened
- Sunday’s action was contested in the five-game baker format, due to the format change earlier in the weekend. Valpo opened the day with their bye match, rolling an 873.
- Valpo dropped a 975-893 decision to #20 UW-Whitewater in its first match versus opposition, and capped the tournament with an 882-693 victory over Augustana.
- The Crusaders tallied 2,648 pins over Sunday’s three matches to place sixth on the day. #RV Monmouth earned the victory on the final day with 2,848 pins over its three matches.
- #1 Nebraska topped the cumulative team standings with 12,572 pins over the three days of competition.
- Nebraska’s Raquel Oroczo was named Tournament MVP and was joined on the All-Tournament Team by teammates Kelly Belzeski and Julia Bond, Monmouth’s Jacqueline Evans and UW-Whitewater’s Mary Conneely.
Valpo (40-33) competes in its final regular season tournament on the first weekend of March, heading to Lincoln, Neb. for the Big Red Invitational, which opens on Friday, March 2.