The #22 Valparaiso University bowling team saw its 2017-18 campaign come to an end on Friday in Dallas, Texas at the 2018 Southland Bowling League Championship.
How It Happened
- The double-elimination tournament pitted the sixth-seeded Crusaders against third-seeded Sam Houston State, which entered the weekend ranked #5 nationally.
- Valpo got off to a strong start, downing the Bearkats in a traditional team game, 869-832. Junior Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton) led the Crusaders in the win with a 205 game.
- Sam Houston State rebounded with a 959-792 victory in the five-game baker match, as the Crusaders fell behind by 28 pins after game one and then saw SHSU roll 200+ games in three of the final four.
- With the two teams having split the traditional and five-game baker decisions, the matchup went to a best-of-seven baker tiebreaker. But unfortunately for the Crusaders, Sam Houston State carried over momentum from the five-game baker match and defeated Valpo, 4-0.
- The loss dropped the Crusaders into a matchup against #20 Louisiana Tech as Valpo attempted to stay alive. But Louisiana Tech bested Valpo, 856-774, in the traditional team game and closed out the matchup with a 927-875 win in the five-game baker meeting.
- The pair of losses closes out the Crusaders’ season with a 43-43 record, the program’s first season finishing .500 or better since the 2011-12 NCAA Tournament campaign.