The Valpo bowling team opened up hosting of the Crusader Classic at Lynwood Bowl in Lynwood, Ill. on Friday, posting a perfect 4-0 record on the first day of competition.
How It Happened
- Valpo began the tournament against Drury in five-game baker match action, and earned an 890-849 win in the opener.
- The Brown and Gold made it consecutive wins to open the tournament with an 896-703 win over Dominican. Former Valpo Bowling standout Amanda Cortese serves as an assistant coach for the Dominican program.
- Valpo claimed its third straight win with an 848-818 victory against Augustana
- Valpo then cruised to an 879-779 victory over Alabama A&M to make it four consecutive wins.
- The only thing that kept Valpo from making it a potential five-for-five day was the lack of an opponent in the final match slot, as a late withdrawal created an odd number of teams in the tournament field. Valpo posted a score of 754 in the bye slot.
- Valpo closed the day with 4,267 total pins to finish day one in fifth place out of the 11 competing teams, just 25 pins out of third position.
Valpo (9-20) continues hosting of the Crusader Classic with the middle day of competition on Saturday morning. The group of five traditional team matches begins at 9:30 a.m.