The Valpo bowling team kicked off the first of three days of competition at the Columbia 300 Music City Classic, hosted by Vanderbilt, on Friday.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened Friday’s play, contested in the five-game baker format, with a bye due to the odd number of teams in the field. The Brown and Gold posted an 818 in that first match slot.
- In its first actual matchup of the tournament, Valpo dropped a narrow decision to #7 Stephen F. Austin, 909-901.
- The Brown and Gold fell 1002-922 to #21 UAB in their next match.
- Valpo picked up its first win of the tournament in the fourth match slot, taking care of business with an 880-811 victory over Aurora.
- The day ended with a 955-874 defeat against #3 Nebraska.
- Valpo concluded the first day of competition in 19th place in the 29-team field with a pinfall of 4,395, just 10 pins out of 18th
Valpo (39-52) continues the Music City Classic on Saturday, with traditional team matches beginning at 9:30 a.m.