The Valpo bowling team picked up a win over #16 Tulane in its second day of competition at the Columbia 300 Music City Classic in Smyrna, Tenn. on Saturday, hosted by Vanderbilt.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened Saturday’s action, contested in the traditional team format, against #11 Louisiana Tech, falling 979-891. Senior Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) paced Valpo in the opener with a 192 game.
- #19 Maryville earned a 921-868 win over the Brown and Gold in the second match slot of the day despite a team-best 196 game from junior Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota).
- Forton again paced Valpo in the third match of the day, rolling the team’s best single game of Saturday with a 212 in a 1050-911 loss to #5 Arkansas State.
- The fourth match slot saw Valpo take down #16 Tulane by an 868-836 final. Junior Payton Bertermann (Grayslake, Ill./North) led the way in the win with a 203, while fellow junior Mirica Yancey (Aurora, Ill./Waubonsie Valley) posted a 198 as well in the victory.
- The day concluded with Valpo falling 839-810 to Elmhurst. Lohse led Valpo in the finale, posting a 197 game.
- Valpo closed the day 22nd in the 29-team field with a total pinfall of 8,743 pins.
Valpo (40-56) concludes the Music City Classic on Sunday, with bracket play beginning at 8:30 a.m.