The Valpo bowling team returned to competitive action for the first time since March on Friday at the season-opening Bearcat Hammer Open in Fairview Heights, Ill., picking up a pair of victories.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the 2020-21 campaign against #10 Youngstown State, but got off to a slow start, dropping the season’s first match by an 809-753 final.
- The first win of the year for the Brown and Gold came in the second match slot, as Valpo edged out Drury, 816-802.
- Valpo showed continued improvement in the third match of the day in earning its second win, rolling to an 898-791 win over Upper Iowa.
- It was another step forward in the fourth match slot, but not quite enough for another victory, as Valpo fell in a high-scoring contest against #18 Maryville, 1040-999.
- A showdown against the nation’s top-ranked team closed out the day, but host #1 McKendree earned a 934-844 win in the closing match.
- Valpo ended the day in sixth place out of the eight competing squads in the team standings, tallying 4,310 pins over the opening day’s five matches.
Valpo (2-3) continues action from Fairview Heights on Saturday, with traditional team matches beginning shortly after 9:30 a.m.