The Valpo bowling team posted one of the program’s top five-game baker match scores in program history on Friday as part of the opening day of competition from the Flyer Classic in Lockport, Ill., finishing the day in fourth place in the team standings.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened tournament action Friday against UAB, falling to the Blazers, 854-818.
- The Beacons rebounded in their second match, taking down Carthage by a 926-859 final.
- That set the stage for a tremendous performance in the third match slot, as Valpo averaged nearly 210 per game in defeating Dominican, 1049-823.
- The 209.8 game average is the ninth-best for a five-game baker match in program history.
- The Beacons had a strong effort in their next match as well, but weren’t able to top #13 Maryville, dropping a 1058-963 decision.
- The final match slot of the day, due to an odd number of teams in the tournament field, was a bye for Valpo and the team posted an 876 in the finale.
- Despite winning just two of their four head-to-head matches on the day, the Beacons’ total pinfall of 4,632 pins is good for fourth in the 13-team field and just 53 pins out of third position.
Valpo (35-32) continues the weekend on Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m. with traditional team action.