The Valpo bowling team picked up a pair of victories on the second day of competition Saturday at the Flyer Classic in Lockport, Ill. and sits in fifth place entering Sunday’s bracket play. Freshman Kaitlyn Cavender (New Baltimore, Mich./Anchor Bay) paced the Beacons on Saturday with a 196.2 average over the five traditional team matches.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day against Kentucky Wesleyan, falling by a 927-804 final.
- The Beacons dropped an 898-875 decision to Aurora in the second match slot, despite a game of 202 from junior Noelle Doody (Tinley Park, Ill./Andrew).
- Valpo was then edged by Augustana, 927-924, in its next match. Cavender led the way in that contest with a 223 game, the Beacons’ best single-game effort of the day and her best traditional game score of the season.
- Valpo’s first win on Saturday came in the fourth match slot, as it defeated North Central, 935-744. Cavender posted a 215 game to lead the team for a second straight match, while freshman Alli Eible (Burton, Mich./Kearsley) recorded a 211.
- The Beacons made it back-to-back wins to close the day by taking down Quincy in Saturday’s finale, 943-795. Freshman Lilu Smith (Gahanna, Ohio/Lincoln) led Valpo in the victory with a 212 game.
- Cavender’s 196.2 average over the five matches was good for 11th among all bowlers who started all five matches.
- As a team, Valpo finished the day in fifth place out of the 13 competing teams with a pinfall of 9,113 pins through two days of action. The Beacons finished just 10 pins out of fourth place, which would have given them a shot at the tournament title on Sunday.
Valpo (37-35) closes out the Flyer Classic on Sunday with a trio of bracket matches in the best-of-seven baker format, starting at 8:30 a.m.