Redshirt junior Alexander Bruno (Bloomington, Ill./University) earned a spot on the Missouri Valley Conference First Team and shattered his own school record, while junior Katherine Germann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Finneytown) moved into Valpo’s all-time Top 10 at the Missouri Valley Conference Championship on Saturday afternoon in Peoria, Ill.
How It Happened
- Bruno secured his spot on the MVC First Team with his seventh-place finish at Bradley, recording a 24:23.4 and eclipsing the school record that he set in the 8K just four weeks ago at the Greater Louisville Classic.
- Junior Jack Mader (Grander, Ind./Penn) turned in his best race of the season, finishing inside the Top 20 by stopping the clock at 25:12.1.
- Sophomore Dominic Paoletti (Monroe, Mich./Monroe St. Mary) crossed the finish just 14 seconds behind Mader, notching his own best 8K finish of the 2018 campaign at 25:26.4.
- Freshman Ignacio Veloz-Bonilla (San Juan, P.R./American Military Academy) continued a very promising freshman year with a fourth-place team finish, completing the circuit in 26:16.3.
- In the women’s race, Germann was on form again for Valpo, finishing just outside the Top 20 on the afternoon with a time of 18:12.9. She now sits in the program Top 10 in both the 5K (seventh) and the 6K (sixth), surpassing Elizabeth Whiting’s 18:14 5K finish at the Mid-Con Championships back in 2000.
- Sophomore Sarah Caesar (Fox River Grove, Ill./Cary-Grove) notched her bet 5K finish of the season, finishing second on the team in the process. Her final time on the afternoon was 19:38.7.
- Junior Taylor Justison (Chatham, Ill./Glenwood) finished right behind Caesar, recording her own best 5K time of the season at 20:10.4.
Valpo will compete in the NCAA Great Lakes Regional on Friday, Nov. 9 in Terre Haute, Ind.