The Valparaiso University women’s golf team competed in the final round of the Missouri Valley Conference Fall Preview on Tuesday at Sand Creek Station Golf Course in Newton, Kan. A trio of Crusaders - sophomore Tiffany Curtis (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point), junior Kylie Shoemake (Schererville, Ind. / Lake Central) and sophomore Kayla Krueger all tied for the team lead in Round 3.
How It Happened
- Curtis, Shoemake and Krueger each carded 80s to provide the Crusaders with balanced scoring in the third round.
- Curtis edged junior Madison McCreary (Batesville, Ind. / Batesville) for the 54-hole team lead, finishing at 242 to pace the squad and tie for 42nd overall. McCreary was close behind at 243, which places her at T-44 overall.
- Shoemake and Krueger each showed strong improvement from Monday to Tuesday, as the 80 in Round 2 was the best round of the tournament for both players.
- As a team, Valpo carded a 324 on Tuesday to finish at 973 in the tournament, which places the team 10th of 11. Valpo finished 41 strokes ahead of 11th-place Evansville.
Inside the Round
- Krueger’s 80 matched her best round of the season.
- The Crusaders finished the event with 21 birdies. Krueger, McCreary and Katie Willinbrink (Mishawaka, Ind. / Penn) paced the team with five birdies apiece.
The final tournament of the fall season will take place next week as the Crusaders head to Evansville for the Braun Intercollegiate on Monday, Oct. 23 and Tuesday, Oct. 24 at Oak Meadow Country Club.