The Valparaiso University women’s golf team began the Indiana State University Spring Invitational on Sunday as freshman Carly Schiene (Mokena, Ill. / Lincoln-Way Central) paced the team in Round 1 of the event, which is taking place at the par-72, 5900-yard Country Club of Terre Haute.
How It Happened
- Schiene carded a 79 (+7) in Round 1, good enough to check in at t-22 in the nine-team, 56-player field.
- The 79 marked the best round of Schiene’s young collegiate career to date. Her previous personal best was an 80 in the third round of the MSU Spring Invitational on March 16. The score marked the third time a Valpo golfer went sub-80 in a round this season.
- Valpo also got a strong showing from sophomore Maddison Murphy (Bloomington, Ill. / University), who golfed as an individual and carded an 81 (+9). That marked a career best for Murphy, whose previous personal low was an 83 during her freshman season.
- Junior Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton) posted an 82 (+10) to join her pair of teammates in the top 35 in the event through one day of competition.
- Valpo posted a team score of 341 (+53), four strokes ahead of ninth-place Rose-Hulman and just four strokes behind seventh-place Eastern Illinois on the team leaderboard.
Thoughts From Head Coach Jill McCoy
“Carly Schiene had a great back nine today. She is definitely settling in and getting comfortable on the golf course. Today was not our best team score, but the team vibe was the best it’s been all season and our confidence level seems to be moving in the right direction. We are starting to work better together as a team, which is an important first step to improving our game. I’m hopeful tomorrow will be a better day.”
Valpo will round out the 36-hole tournament with the final round on Monday in Terre Haute.