The Valparaiso University women’s golf team completed the first 36 holes of the three-round Diane Daugherty Invite on Monday. The event is being hosted by Southern Illinois at the par-71, 5987-yard Bogey Hills Country Club in St. Charles, Mo. Valpo was led by Morgan Kier (Brownsburg, Ind. / Brownsburg).
How It Happened
- Kier finished the day at 171 (+29) to pace the Beacons and tie for 67th in a 96-player field. Her day was highlighted by an 83 (+12) in Round 1, the best 18-hole score of the day for the Beacons.
- The second-best Valpo performance came courtesy of Kesley Eichenauer (North Manchester, Ind. / Manchester), who is golfing as an individual. She sits at 175 (+33, 90-85) entering Tuesday’s round. The junior had a pair of birdies, both of which came in the first round.
- The next three Valpo golfers were all within a single stroke of one another. Cailey Rooker (St. Joseph, Mich. / St. Joseph) had a 177 that was highlighted by an 87 in the opening round, while Anna Fay (Ada, Mich. / Forest Hills) shaved four strokes off her Round-1 score to post an 87 in Round 2.
- Madison Keil (LaGrange, Ind. / Lakeland) featured an even larger improvement from the first round to the second round, cutting her score by nine strokes to boast an 85 and finish the day at 179.
- The team improved by six strokes from Round 1 to Round 2, finishing the day with a 36-hole total of 704 (355-349).
- Missouri State sits atop the team leaderboard at 597. Brooke Newell of the Bears has the lead for medalist honors at 145, while Western Michigan’s Alissa Fish had a hole-in-one on the 16th hole of the second round.
The final 18 holes will tee off on Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. CT with a shotgun start. A link to live scoring via GolfStat is available on ValpoAthletics.com.