The Valparaiso University women’s golf team teed off the Indiana State Invitational on Sunday, completing the first 18 holes of the two-round event at the par-72, 6041-yard Country Club of Terre Haute in Terre Haute, Ind. The Beacons were led by freshman Anna Fay in Sunday’s round.
How It Happened
- Fay carded a 78 (+6) to pace the team, a score that places her in the top 10 through 18 holes. She is tied for 10th on the player leaderboard.
- Fay was followed by Morgan Kier (Brownsburg, Ind. / Brownsburg), who posted an 82 to finish the day second on the squad and tied for 27th overall.
- A balanced scoring effort featured Kelsey Eichenauer (North Manchester, Ind. / Manchester) third on the team with an 83 (t-30) and Cailey Rooker (St. Joseph, Mich. / St. Joseph) next with an 84 (t-33).
- As a team, Valpo finished the day tied for sixth in the nine-team field. With a team score of 327, the Beacons are ahead of Chicago State and Eastern Illinois and even with Rose Hulman. They are just five strokes behind Missouri Valley Conference foe UNI for a spot in the top five.
- Valpo had four birdies, including two by Fay. The rookie paced the team with 11 pars, while Kier had 10.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“I’m very proud of Anna. She has been struggling with her swing and confidence recently, but really started to turn things around today. We left a lot of room for improvement and I’m looking forward to much better golf tomorrow.”
The final round of the event will begin at 9 a.m. CT on Monday in Terre Haute. A link to live scoring via GolfStat is available on ValpoAthletics.com.