Senior Morgan Kier (Brownsburg, Ind. / Brownsburg) turned in the best round of her collegiate career on Monday, leading the Valparaiso University women’s golf team on the final day of the Indiana State Invitational, played at the par-72, 6041-yard Country Club of Terre Haute in Terre Haute, Ind.
How It Happened
- Kier cracked the top 20 on the player leaderboard, finishing the event at t-17 after carding a 158 over 36 holes. Her tournament was highlighted by her performance in Monday’s round, a 76 (+4) to pace the team. Kier bettered her previous career low of 79 by three strokes.
- Valpo’s other sub-80 score on Monday came courtesy of Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton), who golfed as an individual and stroked a 79 to finish the event at 164 (t-32).
- Freshman Anna Fay (Ada, Mich. / Forest Hills) was the second-best Beacon in terms of 36-hole score, concluding the event at 161 (t-27).
- The second-best Monday score among those in the starting lineup for Valpo was recorded by Kelsey Eichenauer (North Manchester, Ind. / Manchester), who turned in an 82 to finish the event at 165 (t-34).
- On the team leaderboard, Valpo improved its Round-1 showing by one stroke in Round 2, finishing the 36 holes at 653 (327-326). That helped the Beacons edge Chicago State by one stroke for seventh in the team leaderboard. Valpo also finished ahead of Eastern Illinois, placing seventh in the nine-team field.
- Green Bay won the team title at 608, while Isabelle Maleki of the Phoenix golfed a 150 to earn medalist honors.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“Morgan played great today. She has really stepped up as a leader and she is doing a great job leading this team as we prepare for conference.”
Valpo will continue a busy stretch this coming weekend at the Redbird Spring Invitational, which begins on Friday at Weibring GC in Normal, Ill. This will be the team’s final tournament prior to the MVC Championship. A link to live scoring via GolfStat is available on ValpoAthletics.com.