The Valparaiso University women’s soccer team kicked off the 2016 regular season on Friday at IUPUI, but after waiting out a pre-game weather delay of over an hour, the Crusaders fell to the Jaguars by a 2-0 final.
- Valpo looked to find the back of the net early, pushing forward and forcing a Jaguar defender to clear a ball off the line on an effort from freshman Ava Porlier (Downers Grove, Ill./South) in the sixth minute. The Crusaders tallied three shot attempts - two on goal – in the first nine minutes.
- It was IUPUI which scored first, however, as the Jaguars’ Krissy Kirkhoff finished on a breakaway in the 30th IUPUI doubled its lead in the 50th minute on a header goal from Tori Minnich.
- Valpo out-shot the Jaguars over the final 45 minutes by a 7-4 margin and placed four shots on frame in the second half, but was unable to cut into the deficit.
This and That
- Valpo held a 14-12 advantage in shot attempts on the game, with both sides putting eight shots on goal. The Crusaders also attempted seven corner kicks to the Jaguars’ three.
- Valpo goalkeeper Sydney Galvez-Daley (Chicago, Ill./Fenwick [Creighton]) made six saves in net for the Crusaders.
- Eight Valpo players made their regular season debut in the Crusader kit on Friday, including three freshmen – Porlier, Ali Quillen (Beavercreek, Ohio/Beavercreek) and Natalia Kontul (Solon, Ohio/Solon) who earned spots in the starting 11.
Thoughts From Head Coach John Marovich
“We had a really good start tonight for about 25 minutes, but weren’t able to get a reward for our movement and combinations. I was pleased with our defensive shape and our ability to win balls in the midfield, but after the goal on the counter, it caused us to have to chase the game.”
“We need to improve in our defending and decision making while dealing with counter attacks, but I like our attitude to press. These games give us great feedback to grow as a unit. We created several very dangerous opportunities in the second half by playing more direct, so I am encouraged that we can do different things with this group when needed.”
The Crusaders continue their opening weekend of play on the road as they head to Bowling Green, Ohio to take on Bowling Green Sunday afternoon. Kickoff is scheduled for noon CT, with live stats available via ValpoAthletics.com.