The Valparaiso University women’s soccer team concluded a brief two-match road trip to kick off the 2016 season Sunday afternoon, falling at Bowling Green 1-0 as the Falcons scored in the 82nd minute.
- The Crusaders were limited to just two shots on goal for the game, one of which came in the 17th minute from freshman Natalia Kontul (Solon, Ohio/Solon), forcing BGSU goalkeeper Lauren Cadel into an early save.
- With the game closing in on the end of regulation time, the Falcons found the back of the net with just 8:03 to play, as Erica Hubert shot from the left to the right corner for the game’s lone goal.
- Valpo pushed forward straightaway off the goal, forcing Cadel into another stop in the 83rd minute and earning a pair of corner kicks in quick succession, but was unable to equalize.
This and That
- Valpo goalkeeper Sydney Galvez-Daley (Chicago, Ill./Fenwick [Creighton]) made four saves for the Crusaders to limit BGSU to just the one goal.
- The Crusaders made two changes to their starters from Friday night’s lineup, as freshmen Tahelah Noel (Buffalo, N.Y./Christian Central Academy) and Shannon Carr (Clarence Center, N.Y./Clarence) earned their first starting assignments at Valpo.
- Valpo was out-shot by an 11-5 margin, but earned nine corner kicks to just five for BGSU.
Thoughts From Head Coach John Marovich
“The way the game started, it gave us an opportunity to look at a few things in a different shape. These games, at this time of year, provide us with situations that will help us mold and shape this young squad.”
“I was pleased with the energy and the way our squad competed in the second half. We found our rhythm and ability to keep pressure with our shape and defensive intensity. Although the attacking third has been a challenge this weekend, it is providing us with valuable lessons to the type of attacking patterns which will work for our group of players.”
“I felt that Kelsey Jahn was a warrior for us today. She played the full 90 minutes and rose to the challenge in the holding midfield role for us.”
The Crusaders (0-2-0) return home for the first time in the regular season Friday evening, as they get set to host New Mexico State at 7:30 p.m. The game can be seen live on ESPN3, WatchESPN and the ESPN app, with live stats also available via ValpoAthletics.com.