The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s swim teams competed at Eastern Illinois University on Saturday, falling to the Panthers by final scores of 163-99 on the men’s side and 168.5-86.5 on the women’s side. Freshman Dylan Ogle (Simpsonville, S.C./Mauldin) and senior Emily Trimpe (New Palenstine, Ind./New Palenstine) both won two events for the Crusaders.
How It Happened
- For the men, Ogle earned first place in the 100 and 200 butterfly races, with times of 54.64 and 1:58.35. He helped the 200 medley relay team to a third-place finish with a time of 1:41.84, accompanied by junior Max Penn (Columbus, Ohio/St. Charles Prep), freshman Anthony Bartolotta (Tinley Park, Ill./Andrew) and freshman Peyton Stambeck (Bartlesville, Okla./Bartlesville).
- Sophomore Robert Bretl (Wauwatosa, Wis./Marquette University H.S.) collected nine points for the Crusaders in the 1,000 freestyle, touching the wall first with a time of 10:23.39.
- In the 400 individual medley, sophomore Dylan Kirar (Arvada, Colo./Ralston Valley) and freshman Brendon Johnson (Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) finished one-two for Valpo. Kirar (4:23.01) hit the wall just before Johnson (4:24.50), coming away with the victory.
- On the women’s side, Trimpe won the 100 (1:11.54) and 200 (2:34.21) breaststroke events, while also picking up a second-place finish in the 200 medley relay (1:54.15) with the help from freshman Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honor), freshman Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran) and junior Amanda Jenny (New Albany, Ohio/New Albany). This team also tallied a second-place result in the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1:42.30.
- Aside from two second-place finishes, Wright collected a victory in the 100 freestyle race with a time of 55.31.
After a week break, Valpo will resume competition on Sunday, Nov. 6 as they travel to University Center, Mich. to take on Saginaw Valley State. The meet is slated to begin at 1 p.m. CT.