The Valparaiso University men’s and women’s swimming teams concluded their two-meet homestand against the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology on Friday at the ARC Pool. The women’s squad picked up their first victory of the season, winning 166-66, while the men suffered a 147.5-114.5 loss.
How It Happened
- The women were led by senior Rachel Law (Wayne, Pa./Villa Maria Academy), who had an impressive day for the Crusaders with picking up three victories. Her victories came in the 100-yard individual medley (1:06.35), 400-yard individual medley (4:59.36) and the 500-yard freestyle (5:28.36).
- Freshman Tara Lawson (Mundelein, Ill./Mundelein) followed suit and tallied two individual wins and one relay top-finish. In the 100-yard backstroke, she hit the wall at 1:03.85 to take first and in the 200-yard backstroke (2:18.78). For the relay, Lawson had help from senior Emily Trimpe (New Palestine, Ind./New Palestine), freshman Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran) and junior Amanda Jenny (New Albany, Ohio/New Albany) as the Crusaders captured the win in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:55.80.
- Along with the victory in the 200-yard medley relay, Trimpe had a first-place finish in the 50-yard freestyle (26.04), second-place nod in the 100-yard freestyle (56.70) and a top-finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay (1:45.15) with assistance from freshman Mackenzy Tibbot (Lebanon, Ind./Lebanon), Martins and Jenny.
- On the men’s side, sophomore Mac Sogandares (Reston, Va./South Lakes) paved the way with two first-place results for the day – one coming in the 200-yard freestyle (1:48.76) and the other in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:16.92). While in the 200-yard freestyle relay (1:28.03), he garnered a second-place finish with the trio of freshman Peyton Stambeck (Bartlesville, Okla./Bartlesville), freshman Harrison Jenny (New Albany, Ohio/New Albany) and freshman Spenser Shaffer (LaPorte, Ind./LaPorte).
- Freshman Dylan Ogle (Simpsonville, S.C./Mauldin) turned in an impressive day for Valpo with two first-place performances, swimming a 1:57.58 in the 200-yard butterfly and a 4:55.02 in the 500-yard freestyle to earn nine points in both races.
Valpo begins a three-meet stretch on the road when they travel to Grand Rapids, Mich for the Calvin Winter Invite. The meet is slated to begin on Thursday, Dec. 1 at 5 p.m. CT and runs through Saturday, Dec. 3. Friday and Saturday events begin at 9 a.m. CT.