Valparaiso University women’s tennis team continued competition in the Bronco Invitational at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Mich. on Saturday. The Crusaders notched five singles wins on the day, and had three doubles victories in consolation brackets.
How It Happened
- Junior Kathleen Hebble (Sellersburg, Ind. / Silver Creek) picked up a victory in a consolation match, capturing a thrilling three-set win over Green Bay’s Olivia Headford 6-4, 2-6, 10-2.
- Paige Heuer (Munster, Ind. / Munster) punched her ticket to Sunday’s Black Flight consolation final by topping Chicago State’s Leshia Gadacz 6-3, 6-1.
- Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Green Bay’s Jule Hermann to advance to the consolation final of the Brown Flight.
- Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) matched Kopfer’s success, whitewashing Lewis’s Hailey Bruining 6-0, 6-0 in a Silver Flight consolation match.
- In doubles, Hebble and Heuer teamed up for a 6-3 win over Chicago State, then fell to Oakland 7-5 in the consolation final.
- Modesto and Kopfer teamed up to win in consolation doubles 6-1 over Green Bay. They also notched a 6-2 win over a different Green Bay duo.
- In round robin singles, Halle Roach (Libertyville, Ill. / Libertyville) rallied for a three-set win over Green Bay’s Maria Neff 4-6, 6-1, 1-0(4)
- Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) notched a 7-5 win in the opening set against Oakland’s Samantha Gallowayk, but then lost the remaining sets to drop the Black Flight consolation semifinal match.
- Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) competed in the semifinal of the Brown Flight after earning a win on Friday, but she fell to Western Michigan’s Meika Ashby 6-0, 6-3 on Saturday.
- Morgan Paras (Indianapolis, Ind. / Bishop Fenwick) was also competing in a championship bracket match after a win on Friday. She came out on the losing end of a 6-2, 6-3 decision against Chicago State’s Lorea Gamboa.
- Erin Staal (Grand Haven, Mich. / Grand Haven) lost 6-1, 6-3 to Chicago State’s Carynne Lloyd in round robin singles.
- In consolation doubles, Wind and Sysouvanh fell 6-1 to one Western Michigan duo and 6-2 to another Bronco combination.
The Bronco Invitational will round out on Sunday in Kalamazoo, Mich. Four individuals competing in consolation finals headline the day of action for the Crusaders. Kathleen Hebble will face off with Mariya Kostyuk of Chicago State in the White Flight consolation final, while Paige Heuer will meet Oakland’s Samantha Galloway in the Black Flight consolation final. In addition, Jordan Kopfer clashes with Oakland’s Amanda Nilsson in the Brown Flight consolation final and Randi Wind meets Green Bay’s Samantha Pederson in the Silver Flight consolation final.