The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team played the first of back-to-back matches on Friday at the University of Indianapolis. The host Greyhounds prevailed 9-0 after a long day of tennis in the state capital.
How It Happened
- Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) picked up Valpo’s lone set win of the day, taking the second set from Indianapolis’s Dana Olsen 6-4 at No. 5 singles. Kopfer dropped the opening set 6-3 and the decisive set 10-6 to lose a tightly-contested match.
- Another competitive showdown occurred at No. 6 singles, where Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) was nipped 7-6(3), 6-3 by Mara Hofstetter.
- The match was filled with close sets, including the No. 2 singles matchup between Paige Heuer (Munster, Ind. / Munster) and Florence Renard. Heuer was on the wrong end of 6-4 and 7-5 scores.
- Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) dropped a battle with Stephanie Hirsch at No. 3 singles 6-4, 6-3. Hirsch was the GLVC Player of the Year in 2015 before an injury-plagued 2016.
- Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) suffered a 6-1, 6-2 setback to Dana Olsen at No. 5 singles.
- Kathleen Hebble (Sellersburg, Ind. / Silver Creek) dropped the No. 1 singles match to Hannah Volikova, the reigning Great Lakes Valley Conference Freshman of the Year.
- Heuer and Hebble succumbed to Volikova and Renard 8-4 at No. 1 doubles.
- The No. 2 doubles match was also decided by a score of 8-4, with Modesto and Sysouvanh losing to Hirsch and Selenay Heper.
- Sisters Dana and Paige Olsen got the better of Wind and Kopfer at 8-1 at No. 3 doubles.
- The Greyhounds improved to 3-1 with the victory, while Valpo dropped to 0-3.
- Indianapolis has played only Division-I competition in dual match play and fared well, notching wins over IUPUI and Butler to go along with a close loss to Illinois State.
- The Greyhounds are the preseason favorites to win the GLVC (Division-II)
The Crusaders will remain in Indianapolis for a neutral site match against Dayton on Saturday at 2 p.m. Central Time. The Flyers are 3-3 on the season and won back-to-back matches last weekend, 4-1 over IUPUI and 6-1 over Butler.