The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team entered the win column on Friday evening in Los Angeles. The Crusaders earned a thrilling 5-4 win over California Lutheran, busting out of an eight-match skid in the process.
How It Happened
- Meg Modesto turned in a dominating performance at No. 3 singles, dispatching Annette Sousa 6-0, 6-0.
- Another Valpo victory came at No. 5 singles, as Dao Sysouvanh knocked off Gianna Cupo 6-4, 6-2.
- The lone three-set showdown of the day occurred at No. 6 singles. Randi Wind started the match by beating Shelby Kubota 6-2 in Set 1, then Kubota bounced back with a 6-4 Set 2 victory. Wind captured the decisive set 6-1.
- Doubles was played with each match counting as its own point in the team scoring. Paige Heuer and Kathleen Hebble sustained their recent success at No. 1, beating Emily Werman and Sousa 8-2.
- At No. 3, Sysouvanh and Jordan Kopfer pulled out an 8-5 win over Kubota and Christie Kurdys.
- The Crusaders dropped the No. 2 doubles match, as Sarah Seeman and Gianna Cupo beat Wind and Modesto 8-6.
- Hebble suffered a 6-1, 6-1 setback to Kurdys at No. 1 singles.
- Heuer was on the wrong end of a 6-4, 6-2 decision at No. 2 singles against Werman.
- Kopfer fell 6-3, 6-2 to Seeman at No. 4 singles.
Inside the Match
- Hebble and Heuer improved to 5-4 in dual matches and 11-8 overall with their win at the top doubles spot.
- Sysouvanh and Kopfer were victorious in their first match as a pair this season. Both notched their first doubles wins of the spring.
- Modesto corralled her first singles win of the spring and her third overall.
- Sysouvanh, a freshman, grabbed her first career singles victory.
- Wind notched her second triumph of the spring and her team-leading sixth of the 2016-17 season.
The Crusaders continue their spring trip on Saturday afternoon as they visit California-Riverside. The match is slated to begin at 1 p.m. CT.