The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team suffered a 7-0 setback on Saturday at the hands of the Wright State Raiders in Miamisburg, Ohio. The most competitive match of the day came at No. 3 singles, as Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) took Wright State’s Haily Morgan to three sets.
How It Happened
- Sysouvanh prevailed 7-5 in the first set, then suffered a 6-0 setback in the second. That led to a marathon third set, where Morgan picked up a narrow 14-12 victory.
- Another close set was the first at No. 5 singles, as Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) fell to Taylor Culbertson 7-5 in Set 1 before dropping the second 6-2.
- Valpo’s No. 2 doubles team of Wind and Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterotn) was locked in a 4-4 tie at No. 2, but that match went unfinished as the Crusaders fell at the other two doubles spots.
- The Crusaders drop to 1-14 overall and 0-5 in Horizon League play, while Wright State boosts its record to 12-11, 3-3 in league activity.
- Valpo played without the services of Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview), who was sidelined due to illness.
The Crusaders have Friday circled on their calendar, as they take on the Green Bay Phoenix at 2 p.m. at the Valpo Tennis Complex. Valpo beat the Phoenix 5-2 last year. Both teams enter the match seeking their first Horizon League victory of the season.